He is also House Republican Policy Committee Chair, a party leadership role. Party leaders focus more on setting their party’s legislative priorties than on introducing legislation.
Read our 2018 Report Card for Palmer.
Palmer is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Palmer has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Jun 14, 2019. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Gary Palmer sits on the following committees:
- House Select Committee on the Climate Crisis
House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure
- Member, Subcommittee on Economic Development, Public Buildings, and Emergency Management
- Member, Subcommittee on Highways and Transit
- Member, Subcommittee on Water Resources and Environment
Palmer was the primary sponsor of 1 bill that was enacted:
- H.R. 4646 (115th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 1900 Corporate Drive in Birmingham, Alabama, as the “Lance Corporal Thomas E. Rivers, Jr. Post ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Palmer sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Palmer’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 2955: PLANE Act
- H.R. 2502: Transparency in Federal Buildings Projects Act of 2019
- H.R. 2108: Retirement Freedom Act
- H.R. 995: Settlement Agreement Information Database Act of 2019
- H.R. 850: Agency Accountability Act of 2019
- H.R. 6777 (115th): Settlement Agreement Information Database Act of 2018
- H.R. 6704: To permanently rescind unobligated amounts in the United States Enrichment Corporation Fund.
As House Republican Policy Committee Chair, Palmer may be focused on his responsibilities other than introducing legislation, such as setting the chamber’s agenda, uniting his party, and brokering deals.
From Jan 2015 to Jun 2019, Palmer missed 21 of 2,890 roll call votes, which is 0.7%. This is better than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: