Peters is the junior senator from Michigan and is a Democrat. He has served since Jan 6, 2015. Peters is next up for reelection in 2020.
He was previously the representative for Michigan’s 14th congressional district as a Democrat from 2013 to 2014; and the representative for Michigan’s 9th congressional district as a Democrat from 2009 to 2012.
Read our 2018 Report Card for Peters.
Peters is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Peters has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Sep 17, 2019. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Gary Peters sits on the following committees:
- Ranking Member, Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs
- Senate Committee on Armed Services
- Joint Economic Committee
Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation
- Member, Subcommittee on Aviation and Space
- Member, Subcommittee on Communications, Technology, Innovation, and the Internet
- Member, Subcommittee on Science, Oceans, Fisheries, and Weather
- Member, Subcommittee on Transportation and Safety
Peters was the primary sponsor of 7 bills that were enacted:
- S. 3031 (115th): Federal Personal Property Management Act of 2018
- S. 3678 (115th): A bill to amend the Federal Assets Sale and Transfer Act of 2016 to provide flexibility with respect to the leaseback of certain Federal real property, and ...
- S. 791: Small Business Innovation Protection Act of 2017
- S. 322: Pet and Women Safety Act of 2017
- S. 3492 (114th): A bill to designate the Traverse City VA Community-Based Outpatient Clinic of the Department of Veterans Affairs in Traverse City, Michigan, as the “Colonel Demas T. Craw ...
- S. 565 (114th): Federal Vehicle Repair Cost Savings Act of 2015
- H.R. 5302 (111th): State Small Business Credit Initiative Act of 2010
Does 7 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Peters sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (22%) Armed Forces and National Security (18%) Transportation and Public Works (14%) Science, Technology, Communications (14%) Health (9%) Education (9%) Commerce (8%) Finance and Financial Sector (7%)
Some of Peters’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 2485: A bill to prohibit Federal agencies from using Government funds to pay for ...
- S.Res. 311: A resolution expressing support for the designation of the week of September 11 ...
- S.Res. 308: A resolution calling on the Government of the Russian Federation to provide evidence ...
- S. 2455: National Historic Vehicle Register Act of 2019
- S. 2434: National Criminal Justice Commission Act of 2019
- S. 2433: Expanding Broadcast Ownership Opportunities Act of 2019
- S. 2353: Protecting Firefighters from Adverse Substances Act of 2019
From Jan 2015 to Sep 2019, Peters missed 12 of 1,394 roll call votes, which is 0.9%. This is better than the median of 1.5% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: