Nelson is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the Senate in 1980 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Nelson sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Nelson was the primary sponsor of 12 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 3096 (96th): A bill to amend the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act to authorize the acquisition of certain lands in Douglas County, Wisconsin.
- S. 2963 (96th): A bill to establish the Ice Age National Scenic Trail, and for other purposes.
- S. 2698 (96th): An original bill to provide authorizations for the Small Business Administration, and for other purposes.
- S. 2570 (95th): Comprehensive Employment and Training Act Amendments
- S. 1242 (95th): Youth Employment and Training Act
- S. 3060 (94th): A bill to amend chapter 33 of title 44, United States Code, to change the membership and extend the life of the National Study Commission on Records ...
- S. 3022 (93rd): An Act to amend the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act (82 Stat. 906), as amended, to designate segments of certain rivers for possible inclusion in the national ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Nelson sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
International Affairs (18%) Taxation (17%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (17%) Government Operations and Politics (15%) Commerce (12%) Health (7%) Labor and Employment (7%) Economics and Public Finance (6%)
Some of Nelson’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 3106 (96th): Inflation Adjustment Act of 1980
- S. 3099 (96th): A bill to provide for the relief of the trustee of the ...
- S. 3096 (96th): A bill to amend the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act to authorize ...
- S. 3097 (96th): Critical Materials Act of 1980
- S. 3085 (96th): A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 to allow ...
- S. 3069 (96th): A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 to make ...
- S. 2998 (96th): Small Business Investment Act of 1980
From Jan 1963 to Dec 1980, Nelson missed 599 of 7,907 roll call votes, which is 7.6%. This is better than the median of 9.2% among the lifetime records of senators serving in Dec 1980. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills