Darden, a Democrat, was the representative for Georgia’s 7th congressional district from 1983 to 1994.
Darden is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1994 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Darden sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Darden was the primary sponsor of 4 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1275 (100th): A bill for the relief of Joyce G. McFarland.
- H.J.Res. 557 (100th): A joint resolution to designate October 1988 as “National Down Syndrome Month”.
- H.R. 2121 (100th): A bill to authorize and direct the National Park Service to assist the State of Georgia in relocating a highway affecting the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military ...
- H.J.Res. 228 (100th): A joint resolution to designate October 1987 as “National Down Syndrome Month”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Darden sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Taxation (19%) Transportation and Public Works (16%) Finance and Financial Sector (13%) Economics and Public Finance (13%) Government Operations and Politics (13%) Labor and Employment (9%) Armed Forces and National Security (9%) Housing and Community Development (9%)
Some of Darden’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 4262 (103rd): To amend the Higher Education Act of 1965 to require that recipients ...
- H.R. 4130 (103rd): To require that all Federal recurring payments be paid by electronic funds ...
- H.R. 4131 (103rd): Family Unity Promotion Act of 1994
- H.R. 3060 (103rd): Electronic Funds Transfer Federal Salary Act
- H.R. 2373 (103rd): To authorize the payment of Servicemen’s Group Life Insurance in accordance with ...
- H.R. 505 (103rd): Relief for Older Workers Act of 1991
- H.R. 502 (103rd): To prohibit the expenditure of Federal funds on metric system highway signing.
From Nov 1983 to Nov 1994, Darden missed 97 of 5,245 roll call votes, which is 1.8%. This is better than the median of 3.4% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Nov 1994. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills