Our unique analysis of the bills McGovern sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the Senate in 1980. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). McGovern is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
McGovern was the primary sponsor of 11 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 261 (96th): Agricultural Subterminal Storage Facilities Act of 1979
- S. 1625 (96th): A bill to amend the Act of December 20, 1944, as amended.
- S. 1792 (96th): A bill to authorize the President of the United States to present on behalf of the Congress a specially struck gold medal to Simon Wiesenthal.
- S. 3085 (95th): Child Nutrition Amendments
- S. 3713 (94th): A bill to extend the Emergency Livestock Credit Act of 1974.
- S. 1236 (94th): An Act to amend and extend the Emergency Livestock Credit Act of 1974, and for other purposes.
- S. 13 (94th): A bill to amend the Food Stamp Act of 1964.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
McGovern sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Agriculture and Food (31%) Government Operations and Politics (17%) Economics and Public Finance (11%) Health (11%) Armed Forces and National Security (10%) International Affairs (9%) Labor and Employment (6%) Energy (6%)
Some of McGovern’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S.Res. 535 (96th): A resolution expressing the sense of the Senate that a commemorative postage ...
- S. 3112 (96th): A bill to provide a two-year suspension of payment of principal and ...
- S. 3111 (96th): A bill to amend certain provisions of the Federal Power Act, 16 ...
- S. 3083 (96th): A bill to deauthorize the Oahe Unit, James Division, Missouri River Basin ...
- S. 3021 (96th): A bill to amend certain provisions of the Federal Power Act, 16 ...
- S.Res. 498 (96th): A resolution expressing the sense of the Senate with respect to the ...
- S. 3004 (96th): A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 to make ...
From Jan 1963 to Dec 1980, McGovern missed 1,978 of 7,907 roll call votes, which is 25.0%. This is much worse than the median of 9.2% among the lifetime records of senators serving in Dec 1980. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- Congress-Legislators, a community project collecting election information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills