Nethercutt was the representative for Washington’s 5th congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 1995 to 2004.
Nethercutt is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2004 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Nethercutt sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 1999 to Dec 7, 2004. See full analysis methodology.
Nethercutt was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 4620 (108th): To confirm the authority of the Secretary of Agriculture to collect approved State commodity assessments on behalf of the State from the proceeds of marketing assistance loans.
- H.R. 3858 (108th): Pancreatic Islet Cell Transplantation Act of 2004
- H.R. 211 (106th): To designate the Federal building and United States courthouse located at West 920 Riverside Avenue in Spokane, Washington, as the “Thomas S. Foley Federal Building and United ...
Does 3 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Nethercutt sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Nethercutt’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Con.Res. 509 (108th): Urging the President to withdraw the United States from the 1992 Agreement ...
- H.R. 5157 (108th): High Risk Pool Flexibility Act of 2004
- H.R. 5083 (108th): Wild Sky Wilderness and Backcountry Wilderness Management Area Act of 2004
- H.R. 5077 (108th): Colville Land Conveyance Act of 2004
- H.R. 5031 (108th): Community Credit Card Bank Act of 2004
- H.R. 4979 (108th): Women’s Pelvic Floor Health Education and Awareness Act
- H.R. 4620 (108th): To confirm the authority of the Secretary of Agriculture to collect approved ...
From Jan 1995 to Dec 2004, Nethercutt missed 257 of 5,958 roll call votes, which is 4.3%. This is worse than the median of 2.9% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2004. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: