O’Brien, a Republican, was the representative for Illinois's 4th congressional district from 1983 to 1986.
He was previously the representative for Illinois's 17th congressional district (1973-1982).
O’Brien is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1986 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills O’Brien sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
O’Brien was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.J.Res. 427 (99th): A joint resolution designating the week beginning on May 11, 1986, as “National Asthma and Allergy Awareness Week”.
- H.J.Res. 170 (99th): A joint resolution designating the week beginning on May 5, 1985 as “National Asthma and Allergy Awareness Week”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
O’Brien sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Armed Forces and National Security (21%) Environmental Protection (16%) Labor and Employment (16%) Transportation and Public Works (16%) Economics and Public Finance (11%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (11%) International Affairs (11%)
Some of O’Brien’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.J.Res. 427 (99th): A joint resolution designating the week beginning on May 11, 1986, as ...
- H.J.Res. 273 (99th): A joint resolution to propose an amendment to the Constitution of the ...
- H.J.Res. 170 (99th): A joint resolution designating the week beginning on May 5, 1985 as ...
- H.J.Res. 463 (98th): A joint resolution designating the week beginning on May 6, 1984, as ...
- H.R. 1737 (98th): A bill to amend the Export Administration Act of 1979 to provide ...
- H.R. 1046 (98th): A bill to amend the Public Works and Economic Development Act of ...
- H.R. 7332 (97th): A bill to amend the Export Administration Act of 1979 to provide ...
From Jan 1973 to Jul 1986, O’Brien missed 1,058 of 7,535 roll call votes, which is 14.0%. This is much worse than the median of 6.2% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Jul 1986. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills