Whitehurst was the representative for Virginia’s 2nd congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 1969 to 1986.
Whitehurst is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1986 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Whitehurst sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Whitehurst was the primary sponsor of 8 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.J.Res. 67 (99th): A joint resolution calling for a wildlife sanctuary for humpback whales in the West Indies.
- H.R. 3556 (99th): A bill to provide for the exchange of land for the Cape Henry Memorial site in Fort Story, Virginia.
- H.R. 4966 (98th): A bill to recognize the organization known as the Women’s Army Corps Veterans’ Association.
- H.J.Res. 103 (98th): A joint resolution to authorize the President to issue a proclamation designating the week beginning on March 11, 1984, as “National Surveyors Week”.
- H.R. 5027 (97th): A bill to designate the building known as the United States Post Office and Courthouse in Norfolk, Virginia, as the “Walter E. Hoffman United States Courthouse”.
- H.R. 11945 (95th): An Act to authorize the Secretary of the Army to return to the Federal Republic of Germany ten paintings of the German Navy seized by the United ...
- H.R. 8027 (94th): A bill for the relief of Comdr. Stanley W. Birch, Jr.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Whitehurst sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Whitehurst’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5606 (99th): A bill to amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to provide for ...
- H.R. 4755 (99th): A bill to amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to provide for ...
- H.R. 3967 (99th): A bill for the reimbursement of Wendell W. Crusenberry of Virginia Beach, ...
- H.R. 3963 (99th): Defense Intelligence Commercial Entities Act
- H.R. 3585 (99th): A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 with respect ...
- H.R. 3556 (99th): A bill to provide for the exchange of land for the Cape ...
- H.Res. 124 (99th): A resolution to establish the Select Committee on Water Resources.
From Jan 1969 to Oct 1986, Whitehurst missed 792 of 8,862 roll call votes, which is 8.9%. This is worse than the median of 6.2% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1986. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills