Gude, a Republican, was the representative for Maryland's 8th congressional district from 1967 to 1976.
Gude is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1976 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Gude sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Gude was the primary sponsor of 8 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 1558 (94th): A bill for the relief of Doctor Gernot M. R. Winkler.
- H.R. 8719 (94th): A bill to provide for an amendment to the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Regulation Compact to provide for the protection of the patrons, personnel, and property of ...
- H.R. 3427 (94th): A bill to provide for the striking of medals in commemoration of the 200th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence by Charles Carroll of ...
- H.R. 1553 (94th): A bill for the relief of Victor Henrique Carlos Gibson.
- H.R. 1556 (94th): A bill for the relief of Hendrika Koenders Lyne.
- H.R. 11238 (93rd): A bill to amend the act of March 16, 1926 (relating to the Board of Public Welfare in the District of Columbia), to provide for an improved ...
- H.R. 6758 (93rd): A bill to amend Chapter 33 of Title 28 of the District of Columbia Code, relating to usury, and for other purposes.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Gude sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (30%) Private Legislation (14%) Housing and Community Development (13%) Taxation (11%) Crime and Law Enforcement (9%) Energy (8%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (7%) International Affairs (7%)
Some of Gude’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 1588 (94th): Resolution to amend the Rules of the House of Representatives to create ...
- H.R. 15705 (94th): National Digestive Diseases Act
- H.R. 15584 (94th): A bill for the relief of Commander Edward White Rawlins, United States ...
- H.J.Res. 1092 (94th): A resolution designating the composition known as “The Stars and Stripes Forever” ...
- H.R. 15434 (94th): A bill to provide for the establishment of an equitable rate structure ...
- H.R. 15360 (94th): A bill to amend the Federal employee health insurance provisions of title ...
- H.R. 15322 (94th): A bill to amend the Federal employee health insurance provisions of title ...
From Jan 1967 to Oct 1976, Gude missed 271 of 3,921 roll call votes, which is 6.9%. This is on par with the median of 8.7% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1976. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills