Gutknecht was the representative for Minnesota’s 1st congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 1995 to 2006.
Gutknecht is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2006 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Gutknecht sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2001 to Dec 8, 2006. See full analysis methodology.
Gutknecht was the primary sponsor of 1 bill that was enacted:
- H.R. 3068 (104th): To accept the request of the Prairie Island Indian Community to revoke their charter of incorporation issued under the Indian Reorganization Act.
Does 1 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Gutknecht sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (23%) Economics and Public Finance (14%) Commerce (12%) Health (12%) Law (12%) Science, Technology, Communications (9%) Labor and Employment (9%) Environmental Protection (9%)
Some of Gutknecht’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 1107 (109th): Providing for the printing of a revised edition of the Rules and ...
- H.Con.Res. 503 (109th): Providing for the sine die adjournment of the second session of the ...
- H.R. 6261 (109th): Mercury Reclamation Act of 2006
- H.R. 5832 (109th): National Institute of Food and Agriculture Act of 2006
- H.R. 4357 (109th): 10 by 10 Act
- H.R. 3687 (109th): To authorize appropriations for grants for specialized technical assistance and training to ...
- H.J.Res. 61 (109th): Supporting the goals and ideals of Gold Star Mothers Day.
From Jan 1995 to Dec 2006, Gutknecht missed 123 of 7,172 roll call votes, which is 1.7%. This is better than the median of 2.9% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2006. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: