English, a Democrat, was the representative for Oklahoma’s 6th congressional district from 1975 to 1993.
English is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1994 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills English sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
English was the primary sponsor of 10 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 653 (103rd): Watermelon Research and Promotion Improvement Act of 1993
- H.R. 5954 (102nd): An act to amend the Food, Agriculture, Conservation, and Trade Act of 1990 to improve health care services and educational services through telecommunications, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 707 (102nd): Futures Trading Practices Act of 1992
- H.R. 5237 (102nd): Rural Electrification Administration Improvement Act of 1992
- H.R. 3370 (102nd): To direct the Secretary of the Interior to carry out a study and make recommendations to the Congress regarding the feasibility of establishing a Native American cultural ...
- H.R. 1157 (100th): Farm Disaster Assistance Act of 1987
- H.R. 1349 (99th): Presidential Libraries Act of 1986
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
English sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Agriculture and Food (30%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (14%) Taxation (11%) Health (11%) Environmental Protection (11%) Education (9%) Government Operations and Politics (8%) Crime and Law Enforcement (6%)
Some of English’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.J.Res. 277 (103rd): Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to limit ...
- H.R. 2374 (103rd): To amend the Commodity Exchange Act to ensure the continued application of ...
- H.R. 1440 (103rd): Site-Specific Agricultural Resource Management Act of 1993
- H.R. 766 (103rd): To prohibit the transportation, treatment, storage, or disposal of hazardous waste outside ...
- H.R. 767 (103rd): Solid Waste Disposal Relief Act of 1993
- H.R. 768 (103rd): To amend the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act of 1980 ...
- H.R. 651 (103rd): To amend the National and Community Service Act of 1990 to authorize ...
From Jan 1975 to Nov 1993, English missed 261 of 10,087 roll call votes, which is 2.6%. This is on par with the median of 3.4% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Nov 1993. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills