He was previously the representative for Pennsylvania’s 5th congressional district as a Republican from 2009 to 2018.
Read our 2018 Report Card for Thompson.
Thompson is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Thompson has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to May 21, 2019. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Glenn Thompson sits on the following committees:
- House Committee on Agriculture
House Committee on Education and Labor
- Member, Subcommittee on Civil Rights and Human Services
- Member, Subcommittee on Early Childhood, Elementary, and Secondary Education
Thompson was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 2353 (115th): Strengthening Career and Technical Education for the 21st Century Act
- H.R. 2123: VETS Act of 2017
- H.R. 433 (114th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 523 East Railroad Street in Knox, Pennsylvania, as the “Specialist Ross A. McGinnis Memorial Post ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Thompson sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Public Lands and Natural Resources (25%) Health (19%) Agriculture and Food (16%) Education (12%) Armed Forces and National Security (9%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (6%) Labor and Employment (6%) Energy (6%)
Some of Thompson’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Con.Res. 42: Expressing the sense of Congress that all trade agreements the United States enters ...
- H.R. 2081: Chronic Wasting Disease Research Act
- H.R. 1391: Methane Rule Relief Act of 2019
- H.R. 832: Whole Milk for Healthy Kids Act of 2019
- H.R. 642: Oil Region National Heritage Area Reauthorization Act
- H.R. 245: Cooperative Management of Mineral Rights Act of 2019
- H.R. 7231: Methane Rule Relief Act of 2018
From Jan 2009 to May 2019, Thompson missed 66 of 7,228 roll call votes, which is 0.9%. This is better than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: