Thompson is the representative for Pennsylvania’s 15th congressional district (view map) and is a Republican. He has served since Jan 3, 2019. Thompson is next up for reelection in 2020 and serves until Jan 3, 2021 unless re-elected.
He was previously the representative for Pennsylvania’s 5th congressional district as a Republican from 2009 to 2018.
Read our 2019 Report Card for Thompson.
Thompson is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Thompson has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Jul 13, 2020. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Glenn Thompson sits on the following committees:
Thompson was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 2353 (115th): Strengthening Career and Technical Education for the 21st Century Act
- H.R. 2123: VETS Act of 2017
- H.R. 433 (114th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 523 East Railroad Street in Knox, Pennsylvania, as the “Specialist Ross A. McGinnis Memorial Post ...
Does 3 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Thompson sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Public Lands and Natural Resources (28%) Health (16%) Environmental Protection (12%) Agriculture and Food (12%) Taxation (8%) Labor and Employment (8%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (8%) Animals (8%)
Some of Thompson’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 7187: HEALTH Act of 2020
- H.R. 6841: AG CHAIN Act
- H.R. 6567: GROCER Act of 2020
- H.R. 6298: COVID-19 WIC Response Act of 2020
- H.R. 5799: Bridging Responsible Agricultural Conservation Efforts Act
- H.Res. 663: Expressing support for the designation of the week of October 24, 2019, to ...
- H.Con.Res. 42: Expressing the sense of Congress that all trade agreements the United States enters ...
From Jan 2009 to Jul 2020, Thompson missed 86 of 7,839 roll call votes, which is 1.1%. This is better than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: