Smith is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the Senate in 2008 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Smith sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 7, 2003 to Dec 11, 2008. See full analysis methodology.
Smith was the primary sponsor of 20 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 3015 (110th): A bill to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 18 S. G Street, Lakeview, Oregon, as the “Dr. Bernard Daly Post Office ...
- S. 3194 (110th): Oregon Surplus Federal Land Act of 2008
- S. 375 (110th): A bill to waive application of the Indian Self-Determination and Education Assistance Act to a specific parcel of real property transferred by the United States to 2 ...
- S. 1286 (110th): A bill to authorize the Coquille Indian Tribe of the State of Oregon to convey land and interests in land owned by the Tribe.
- S. 265 (110th): Little Butte/Bear Creek Subbasins Water Feasibility Act
- S. 264 (110th): Wallowa Lake Dam Rehabilitation and Water Management Act of 2007
- S. 266 (110th): North Unit Irrigation District Act of 2007
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Smith sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (17%) Economics and Public Finance (15%) Taxation (14%) Commerce (12%) Health (11%) Finance and Financial Sector (11%) Social Welfare (10%) Labor and Employment (10%)
Some of Smith’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 3554 (110th): Affordable Coverage for Small Employers Act of 2008
- S.Res. 643 (110th): A resolution calling for greater dialogue between the Dalai Lama and the ...
- S. 3374 (110th): Healing Our Nation’s Heroes Act of 2008
- S. 3367 (110th): A bill to amend title XVIII of the Social Security Act to ...
- S. 3275 (110th): Affordable Housing Preservation Act of 2008
- S. 3228 (110th): A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to allow ...
- S. 3195 (110th): Healthy Transition Act of 2008
|Smith’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 6124 (110th): Food, Conservation, and Energy Act of 2008
Jun 18, 2008. Veto Overridden 80/14.
H.R. 2642 (110th): Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008
May 22, 2008. Motion Rejected 34/63.
The Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008 is Title V of the Supplemental Appropriations Act of 2008, Pub.L. 110–252, H.R. 2642, an Act of Congress which became law on June 30, 2008. The act amended Part III of Title 38, United States Code to ...
H.R. 2419 (110th): Food, Conservation, and Energy Act of 2008
Dec 14, 2007. Bill Passed 79/14.
The Food, Conservation, and Energy Act of 2008 (Pub.L. 110–234, H.R. 2419, 122 Stat. 923, enacted May 22, 2008, also known as the 2008 U.S. Farm Bill) was a $288 billion, five-year agricultural policy bill that was passed into law by the United States Congress ...
H.J.Res. 20 (110th): Revised Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2007
Feb 14, 2007. Joint Resolution Passed 81/15.
On the Nomination PN177: Gen. George W. Casey, Jr., in the Army, to be General
Feb 8, 2007. Nomination Confirmed 83/14.
From Jan 1997 to Dec 2008, Smith missed 79 of 3,894 roll call votes, which is 2.0%. This is on par with the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of senators serving in Dec 2008. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: