Meng is the representative for New York’s 6th congressional district (view map) and is a Democrat. She has served since Jan 3, 2013. Meng is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Meng is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Meng has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Jan 21, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Meng was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 423 (115th): Anti-Spoofing Act of 2017
- H.R. 4238 (114th): To amend the Department of Energy Organization Act and the Local Public Works Capital Development and Investment Act of 1976 to modernize terms relating to minorities.
- H.R. 4028 (113th): To amend the International Religious Freedom Act of 1998 to include the desecration of cemeteries among the many forms of violations of the right to religious freedom.
Does 3 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Meng sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Health (17%) International Affairs (16%) Arts, Culture, Religion (13%) Education (11%) Government Operations and Politics (11%) Transportation and Public Works (11%) Armed Forces and National Security (10%) Commerce (10%)
Some of Meng’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 8944 (116th): AT HOME Learning Act
- H.R. 8678 (116th): Global Wildlife Trade Biosecurity Act
- H.R. 8519 (116th): Teaching Asian Pacific American History Act
- H.R. 8193 (116th): Supporting Survivors of Sexual Harassment in Schools Act of 2020
- H.R. 7724 (116th): No Funds for Apportionment Exclusion Act
- H.Res. 987 (116th): Raising awareness regarding period poverty.
- H.R. 7054 (116th): Good Samaritan Menstrual Products Act
From Jan 2013 to Jan 2021, Meng missed 197 of 4,706 roll call votes, which is 4.2%. This is worse than the median of 2.0% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: