Read our 2016 Report Card for Meeks.
Our unique analysis of the bills Meeks has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Meeks is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Gregory Meeks sits on the following committees:
- House Committee on Foreign Affairs
- House Committee on Financial Services
Meeks was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 3957 (113th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 218-10 Merrick Boulevard in Springfield Gardens, New York, as the “Cynthia Jenkins Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 3001 (112th): Raoul Wallenberg Centennial Celebration Act
- H.R. 4632 (108th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 19504 Linden Boulevard in St. Albans, New York, as the “Archie Spigner Post Office Building”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Meeks sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Meeks’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 355: Condemning in the strongest terms the terrorist attacks in Manchester, United Kingdom, on ...
- H.Res. 247: Supporting the goals and ideals of Financial Literacy Month.
- H.R. 1860: Disaster Assistance Recoupment Fairness Act of 2017
- H.R. 1521: Debt Collection Practices Harmonization Act
- H.R. 1522: Fair Lending Discovery Clarification Act of 2017
- H.R. 1257: Securities and Exchange Commission Overpayment Credit Act
- H.Res. 159: Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives that infrastructure spending bills should ...
|Meeks’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 2842: Accelerating Individuals into the Workforce Act
Jun 23, 2017. Passed 377/34.
H.R. 3038: Highway and Transportation Funding Act of 2015, Part II
Jul 15, 2015. Passed 312/119.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.Con.Res. 55: Directing the President, pursuant to section 5(c) of the War Powers Resolution, to remove United States Armed Forces ...
Jun 17, 2015. Failed 139/288.
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
Dec 11, 2014. Passed 219/206.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 [pdf], which was approved by the House on December 11, 2014 and by the Senate on December 13, 2014. The bill was originally introduced on January 3, 2013 by ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 2362 (112th): Indian Tribal Trade and Investment Demonstration Project Act of 2011
Jul 23, 2012. Failed 222/160.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
H.R. 1363 (112th): Further Additional Continuing Appropriations Amendments, 2011
Apr 9, 2011. Passed 348/70.
From Feb 1998 to Jun 2017, Meeks missed 1,139 of 13,164 roll call votes, which is 8.7%. This is much worse than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 20 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: