Read our 2016 Report Card for Bilirakis.
Our unique analysis of the bills Bilirakis has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Bilirakis is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Gus Bilirakis sits on the following committees:
- House Committee on Energy and Commerce
- House Committee on Veterans' Affairs
Bilirakis was the primary sponsor of 6 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 3953 (114th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 4122 Madison Street, Elfers, Florida, as the “Private First Class Felton Roger Fussell Memorial Post ...
- H.R. 4063 (114th): Jason Simcakoski PROMISE Act
- H.R. 2298 (114th): Medicare Patient Safety and Drug Abuse Prevention Act
- H.R. 643 (114th): Veterans Education Survey Act of 2015
- H.R. 4057 (112th): Improving Transparency of Education Opportunities for Veterans Act of 2012
- H.R. 6073 (112th): Dignified Burial of Veterans Act of 2012
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Bilirakis sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Health (31%) Armed Forces and National Security (29%) Taxation (14%) Emergency Management (11%) International Affairs (4%) Immigration (4%) Government Operations and Politics (4%) Transportation and Public Works (3%)
Some of Bilirakis’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 2263: Medicaid and CHIP Territory Transparency and Information Act
- H.R. 2183: Fishing Equipment Tax Relief Act of 2017
- H.R. 1994: VETERAN Act
- H.R. 1771: VA GORDIAN KNOT Act
- H.R. 1749: VET CARE Act of 2017
- H.Res. 215: Expressing the fact that the House of Representatives supports the system for prescription ...
- H.R. 1389: Increasing State Flexibility in Care Coordination for the Most Vulnerable Act of 2017
|Bilirakis’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
Dec 11, 2014. Passed 219/206.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 [pdf], which was approved by the House on December 11, 2014 and by the Senate on December 13, 2014. The bill was originally introduced on January 3, 2013 by ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 1947 (113th): Federal Agriculture Reform and Risk Management Act of 2013
Jun 20, 2013. Failed 195/234.
H.R. 2362 (112th): Indian Tribal Trade and Investment Demonstration Project Act of 2011
Jul 23, 2012. Failed 222/160.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
From Jan 2007 to May 2017, Bilirakis missed 126 of 7,939 roll call votes, which is 1.6%. This is on par with the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 49 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: