Vander Jagt, a Republican, was the representative for Michigan's 9th congressional district from 1965 to 1992.
Vander Jagt is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1992 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Vander Jagt sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Vander Jagt was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.J.Res. 177 (102nd): To designate November 16, 1991, as “Dutch-American Heritage Day”.
- H.R. 4953 (100th): A bill to reauthorize the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore Advisory Commission.
- H.J.Res. 49 (98th): A joint resolution designating the week of November 7 through November 13, 1983, as “National Reye’s Syndrome Week”.
- H.J.Res. 348 (97th): A joint resolution to provide for the awarding of a special gold medal to Her Majesty Queen Beatrix in recognition of the 1982 Bicentennial anniversary of diplomatic ...
- H.R. 12165 (95th): An Act to extend until the close of June 30, 1981, the existing suspension of duties on certain metal waste and scrap, unwrought metal, and other articles ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Vander Jagt sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Vander Jagt’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5674 (102nd): To clarify the tax treatment of intermodal containers, to revise the tax ...
- H.R. 4988 (102nd): For the relief of A.N. Deringer, Incorporated.
- H.R. 4741 (102nd): Small Issue Bond Inflation Adjustment Act of 1992
- H.R. 4275 (102nd): To amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to establish a nonimmigrant status ...
- H.R. 4239 (102nd): United States Olympic Checkoff Act
- H.R. 4147 (102nd): United States Olympic Checkoff Act
- H.R. 4050 (102nd): To amend title VII of the Tariff Act of 1930 to include ...
From Jan 1967 to Oct 1992, Vander Jagt missed 1,618 of 12,118 roll call votes, which is 13.4%. This is much worse than the median of 4.4% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1992. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills