Staggers was the representative for West Virginia’s 2nd congressional district and was a Democrat. He served from 1949 to 1980.
Staggers is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1980 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Staggers sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Staggers was the primary sponsor of 43 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.J.Res. 364 (96th): A joint resolution designating the week of May 14 through May 20, 1979, as “National Diabetes Week”.
- H.R. 4156 (96th): Mental Health Systems Act
- H.J.Res. 329 (96th): A joint resolution to declare May 18, 1979 to be “National Museum Day”.
- H.J.Res. 266 (96th): A joint resolution to provide for the designation of a week as “National Lupus Week”.
- H.R. 11209 (95th): International Maritime Satellite Telecommunications Act
- H.R. 4875 (95th): An Act for the relief of Elizabeth D. Yee Kraus.
- H.R. 3722 (95th): An Act to amend the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 to authorize appropriations for the Securities and Exchange Commission for fiscal year 1978.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Staggers sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Economics and Public Finance (20%) Government Operations and Politics (19%) Energy (18%) Transportation and Public Works (15%) Labor and Employment (9%) Environmental Protection (8%) Health (7%) Finance and Financial Sector (4%)
Some of Staggers’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 8207 (96th): Energy Conservation Assistance Amendments of 1980
- H.R. 8206 (96th): A bill to amend the Communications Act of 1934 to establish certain ...
- H.R. 7945 (96th): Community and State Energy Planning Assistance Act of 1980
- H.R. 7793 (96th): A bill to amend the Railroad Retirement Act of 1974 and the ...
- H.R. 7667 (96th): A bill to amend the Securities Act of 1933, the Securities Exchange ...
- H.R. 7605 (96th): A bill to amend the International Travel Act of 1961 to authorize ...
- H.Con.Res. 360 (96th): A concurrent resolution providing for the printing of additional copies of House ...
From Jan 1949 to Dec 1980, Staggers missed 877 of 8,727 roll call votes, which is 10.0%. This is on par with the median of 8.6% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 1980. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills