Fawell was the representative for Illinois’s 13th congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 1985 to 1998.
Fawell is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1998 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Fawell sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Fawell was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1377 (105th): Savings are Vital to Everyone’s Retirement Act of 1997
- H.R. 2226 (105th): To amend title I of the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 to clarify treatment of investment managers under such title.
- H.R. 1225 (104th): Court Reporter Fair Labor Amendments of 1995
- H.R. 1490 (100th): A bill for the relief of Jean DeYoung.
- H.J.Res. 476 (100th): A joint resolution to designate the week beginning June 12, 1988, as “National Scleroderma Awareness Week”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Fawell sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Labor and Employment (24%) Government Operations and Politics (21%) Law (14%) Commerce (10%) Finance and Financial Sector (10%) Civil Rights and Liberties, Minority Issues (8%) Health (7%) Crime and Law Enforcement (6%)
Some of Fawell’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 4770 (105th): Democratic Rights for Union Members Act of 1998
- H.R. 3751 (105th): Family and Medical Leave Clarification Act
- H.R. 3473 (105th): To amend the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 to allow ...
- H.R. 2888 (105th): Sales Incentive Compensation Act
- H.R. 2449 (105th): Fair Access to Indemnity and Reimbursement Act
- H.R. 2226 (105th): To amend title I of the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of ...
- H.R. 1625 (105th): Worker Paycheck Fairness Act
From Jan 1985 to Dec 1998, Fawell missed 154 of 7,314 roll call votes, which is 2.1%. This is on par with the median of 2.6% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 1998. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills