Read our 2016 Report Card for Reid.
Reid is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the Senate in 2016 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Reid sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 5, 2011 to Dec 10, 2016. See full analysis methodology.
Reid was the primary sponsor of 37 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 1436 (114th): Nevada Native Nations Land Act
- S. 1818 (113th): Pyramid Lake Paiute Tribe - Fish Springs Ranch Settlement Act
- S. 716 (113th): A bill to modify the requirements under the STOCK Act regarding online access to certain financial disclosure statements and related forms.
- S. 3510 (112th): A bill to prevent harm to the national security or endangering the military officers and civilian employees to whom internet publication of certain information applies, and for ...
- S. 3412 (112th): Middle Class Tax Cut Act
- S. 519 (112th): Hoover Power Allocation Act of 2011
- S. 1038 (112th): PATRIOT Sunsets Extension Act of 2011
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Reid sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Public Lands and Natural Resources (19%) Native Americans (15%) International Affairs (15%) Crime and Law Enforcement (13%) Economics and Public Finance (11%) Taxation (11%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (9%) Labor and Employment (9%)
Some of Reid’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 3293 (114th): A bill to require the Secretary of the Interior to transfer to ...
- S. 3281 (114th): A bill to extend the Iran Sanctions Act of 1996.
- S. 3106 (114th): Secure the Northern Triangle Act
- S. 2924 (114th): Max Cleland Congressional Gold Medal Act of 2016
- S. 2907 (114th): A bill to amend the Energy and Water Development and Related Agencies ...
- S. 2903 (114th): Max Cleland Congressional Gold Medal Act of 2016
- S. 2540 (114th): Fair Day in Court for Kids Act of 2016
|Reid’s Vote||Vote Description|
S. 612: WIIN Act
Dec 10, 2016. Motion Agreed to 78/21.
H.R. 5325: Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 2017
Sep 28, 2016. Bill Passed 72/26.
The Continuing Appropriations and Military Construction, Veterans Affairs, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2017, and Zika Response and Preparedness Act (H.R. 5325) is an appropriations bill which extended funding at the previous year's levels up to December 9, 2016 (10 weeks). After this, a continuing ...
S. 2943: National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2017
Jun 14, 2016. Bill Passed 85/13.
The National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2017 (H.R. 4909; NDAA 2017, Pub.L. 114-328) is a United States proposed federal bill which specifies the budget and expenditures of the United States Department of Defense (DOD) for Fiscal Year 2017. This summary is from Wikipedia.
H.R. 644: Trade Facilitation and Trade Enforcement Act of 2015
Feb 11, 2016. Conference Report Agreed to 75/20.
This bill became the vehicle for the passage of the Trade Facilitation and Trade Enforcement Act of 2015, which includes a variety of requirements on trade protection and general trade policy. It would authorize and fund United States Customs and Border Protection (CBP), an agency ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 18, 2014. Joint Resolution Passed 78/22.
H.R. 3080 (112th): United States-Korea Free Trade Agreement Implementation Act
Oct 12, 2011. Bill Passed 83/15.
S.Res. 10 (112th): A resolution to improve the debate and consideration of legislative matters and nominations in the Senate.
Jan 27, 2011. Resolution Rejected 44/51.
H.R. 4853 (111th): Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010
Dec 15, 2010. Motion Agreed to 81/19.
The Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010 (Pub.L. 111–312, H.R. 4853, 124 Stat. 3296, enacted December 17, 2010), also known as the 2010 Tax Relief Act, was passed by the United States Congress on December 16, 2010, and signed into ...
S.Con.Res. 20 (110th): A concurrent resolution expressing the sense of Congress that no funds should be cut off or reduced ...
Mar 15, 2007. Concurrent Resolution Agreed to 82/16.
On the Nomination PN177: Gen. George W. Casey, Jr., in the Army, to be General
Feb 8, 2007. Nomination Confirmed 83/14.
From Jan 1987 to Dec 2016, Reid missed 164 of 9,865 roll call votes, which is 1.7%. This is on par with the median of 1.8% among the lifetime records of senators serving in Dec 2016. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO Member Guide for the photo
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills