Shuler was the representative for North Carolina’s 11th congressional district and was a Democrat. He served from 2007 to 2012.
Shuler is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2013 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Shuler sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 4, 2007 to Jan 1, 2013. See full analysis methodology.
Shuler was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 6472 (111th): Anti-Border Corruption Act of 2010
- H.R. 2546 (110th): To designate the Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Asheville, North Carolina, as the “Charles George Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center”.
- H.R. 1100 (110th): Carl Sandburg Home National Historic Site Boundary Revision Act of 2007
Does 3 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Shuler sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Taxation (18%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (18%) Government Operations and Politics (15%) Commerce (12%) Immigration (12%) Crime and Law Enforcement (12%) Finance and Financial Sector (9%) Transportation and Public Works (6%)
Some of Shuler’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6548 (112th): Diabetes Prevention Act of 2012
- H.R. 5982 (112th): To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to provide that the ...
- H.R. 3793 (112th): Investing for Tomorrow’s Schools Act of 2012
- H.R. 3065 (112th): Target Practice and Marksmanship Training Support Act
- H.R. 2086 (112th): Medical Debt Responsibility Act of 2011
- H.R. 2000 (112th): SAVE Act of 2011
- H.R. 1889 (112th): Gas Tax Holiday Act
From Jan 2007 to Jan 2013, Shuler missed 379 of 5,137 roll call votes, which is 7.4%. This is much worse than the median of 2.6% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Jan 2013. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: