Read our 2018 Report Card for Heitkamp.
Heitkamp is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the Senate in 2019 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Heitkamp sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2013 to Jan 2, 2019. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Heitkamp was the primary sponsor of 9 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 943 (115th): Johnson-O’Malley Supplemental Indian Education Program Modernization Act
- S. 1112: Maternal Health Accountability Act of 2017
- S. 2762: Next Generation in Agriculture Act
- S. 567: Federal Savings Association Charter Flexibility Act of 2017
- S. 546 (114th): RESPONSE Act of 2016
- S. 1808 (114th): Northern Border Security Review Act
- S. 246 (114th): Alyce Spotted Bear and Walter Soboleff Commission on Native Children Act
Does 9 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Heitkamp sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (18%) Health (18%) Taxation (16%) Native Americans (13%) Armed Forces and National Security (12%) Finance and Financial Sector (10%) Commerce (6%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (6%)
Some of Heitkamp’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 3752: Standing Rock Sioux Tribe Land Restoration Act of 2018
- S.Res. 713: A resolution celebrating the 160th anniversary of the Ladies Christian Association, which became ...
- S. 3566: Advancing Carbon Capture in Energy Generation Act
- S. 3563: Hire Student Veterans Act
- S. 3568: Rural MOMS Act
- S. 3407: Agricultural Export Promotion Act of 2018
- S. 3258: Assistance for Farmers Harmed by Tariffs on Exports Act
From Jan 2013 to Dec 2018, Heitkamp missed 34 of 1,758 roll call votes, which is 1.9%. This is on par with the median of 1.5% among the lifetime records of senators serving in Dec 2018. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: