Reuss was the representative for Wisconsin’s 5th congressional district as a Democrat. He served from 1955 to 1982.
Reuss is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1982 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Reuss sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 4, 1977 to Dec 21, 1982. See full analysis methodology.
Reuss was the primary sponsor of 7 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 7825 (96th): A bill to establish the Ice Age National Scenic Trail, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 4533 (95th): A bill for the relief of Gary Daves and Marc Cayer.
- H.R. 13087 (95th): A bill to authorize the issuance of substitute Treasury checks without undertakings of indemnity, except as the Secretary of the Treasury may require.
- H.R. 9710 (95th): Federal Reserve Reform Act
- H.R. 6655 (95th): Housing and Community Development Act
- H.R. 5262 (95th): An Act to provide for increased participation by the United States in the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development, the International Development Association, the International Finance Corporation, ...
- H.R. 6656 (95th): Housing and Community Development Act
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Reuss sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Reuss’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.J.Res. 525 (97th): A joint resolution proposing an Amendment to the Constitution of the United ...
- H.R. 6605 (97th): Fewer-Mergers Stronger Small Business Act of 1982
- H.R. 6104 (97th): A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code to allow an equal ...
- H.R. 5453 (97th): A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 to provide ...
- H.J.Res. 369 (97th): A joint resolution resolving that current economic policies must be reconsidered to ...
- H.J.Res. 365 (97th): A joint resolution resolving that current economic policies must be reconsidered to ...
- H.J.Res. 360 (97th): A joint resolution directing the President and the Federal Reserve System to ...
From Jan 1955 to Dec 1982, Reuss missed 607 of 8,936 roll call votes, which is 6.8%. This is on par with the median of 7.8% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 1982. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills