Our unique analysis of the bills Harris sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the House of Representatives in 1980. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Harris is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Harris was the primary sponsor of 8 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 5687 (96th): A bill for the relief of Michael G. Macdonald.
- H.R. 5048 (96th): Manassas National Battlefield Park Amendments of 1980
- H.R. 11003 (95th): A bill to clarify the authority for employment of personnel in the White House Office and the Executive Residence at the White House, to clarify the authority ...
- H.R. 11002 (95th): Contract Disputes Act
- H.R. 2558 (95th): A bill for the relief of Dr. John Alexis L. S. Tam, and Yeut Shum Tam.
- H.R. 12508 (95th): A bill to amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to facilitate the admission into the United States of more than two adopted children, and to provide for ...
- H.R. 2761 (95th): A bill for the relief of Su-Hwan Choe.
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
Harris sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (25%) Taxation (23%) Private Legislation (12%) Housing and Community Development (12%) Social Welfare (8%) Economics and Public Finance (7%) Education (6%) Transportation and Public Works (6%)
Some of Harris’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Con.Res. 460 (96th): A concurrent resolution requesting the President to return the enrolled bill (H.R. ...
- H.R. 8099 (96th): Handicapped Financial Security Tax Act of 1980
- H.R. 7924 (96th): A bill for the relief of Ludmilla Schneider.
- H.R. 7674 (96th): Consultant Reform Act of 1980
- H.R. 7658 (96th): A bill to amend the National Capital Transportation Act of 1969 to ...
- H.Con.Res. 365 (96th): A concurrent resolution to express the sense of Congress that it must ...
- H.R. 7431 (96th): A bill to direct the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency to ...
View All » (including bills from previous years)
From Jan 1975 to Dec 1980, Harris missed 61 of 4,089 roll call votes, which is 1.5%. This is better than the median of 8.6% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 1980. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- Congressional Biographical Directory for elected positions
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills