Our unique analysis of the bills Kohl sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the Senate in 2013. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Kohl is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Kohl was the primary sponsor of 15 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S.J.Res. 44 (112th): A joint resolution granting the consent of Congress to the State and Province Emergency Management Assistance Memorandum of Understanding.
- S. 678 (112th): Economic Espionage Penalty Enhancement Act
- S. 156 (112th): Water Heater Rating Improvement Act of 2011
- S. 118 (111th): Section 202 Supportive Housing for the Elderly Act of 2010
- S. 1147 (111th): PACT Act
- S. 1406 (111th): Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2010
- S. 1219 (111th): Antitrust Criminal Penalties Enforcement and Reform Act of 2004 Extension Act
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Kohl sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Kohl’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 3604 (112th): Improving Dementia Care Treatment for Older Adults Act of 2012
- S.Res. 553 (112th): A resolution designating September 22, 2012, as “National Falls Prevention Awareness Day” ...
- S. 3427 (112th): A bill to permanently extend the employer-provided child care credit under section ...
- S. 3389 (112th): Protecting American Trade Secrets and Innovation Act of 2012
- S. 3365 (112th): State Court Interpreter Grant Program Act of 2012
- S.Res. 495 (112th): A resolution designating the period beginning on June 17, 2012, and ending ...
- S.J.Res. 44 (112th): A joint resolution granting the consent of Congress to the State and ...
|Kohl’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 1540 (112th): National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012
Dec 15, 2011. Conference Report Agreed to 86/13.
S.Res. 10 (112th): A resolution to improve the debate and consideration of legislative matters and nominations in the Senate.
Jan 27, 2011. Resolution Rejected 44/51.
S.Res. 8 (112th): A resolution amending the Standing Rules of the Senate to provide for cloture to be invoked with ...
Jan 27, 2011. Resolution Rejected 12/84.
H.R. 4853 (111th): Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010
Dec 15, 2010. Motion Agreed to 81/19.
The Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010 (Pub.L. 111–312, H.R. 4853, 124 Stat. 3296, enacted December 17, 2010), also known as the 2010 Tax Relief Act, was passed by the United States Congress on December 16, 2010, and signed into ...
H.R. 2642 (110th): Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008
May 22, 2008. Motion Agreed to 70/26.
H.R. 2419 (110th): Food, Conservation, and Energy Act of 2008
Dec 14, 2007. Bill Passed 79/14.
The Food, Conservation, and Energy Act of 2008 (Pub.L. 110–234, H.R. 2419, 122 Stat. 923, enacted May 22, 2008, also known as the 2008 U.S. Farm Bill) was a $288 billion, five-year agricultural policy bill that was passed into law by the United States Congress ...
On the Nomination PN177: Gen. George W. Casey, Jr., in the Army, to be General
Feb 8, 2007. Nomination Confirmed 83/14.
From Jan 1989 to Jan 2013, Kohl missed 69 of 7,907 roll call votes, which is 0.9%. This is better than the median of 2.0% among the lifetime records of senators serving in Jan 2013. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: