Our unique analysis of the bills Talmadge sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the Senate in 1980. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Talmadge is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Talmadge was the primary sponsor of 21 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 1465 (96th): Farm Credit Act Amendments of 1980
- S. 985 (96th): A bill to amend the Consolidated Farm and Rural Development Act.
- S. 1309 (96th): Food Stamp Act Amendments of 1980
- S. 2427 (96th): A bill to encourage greater participation in the farmer-held reserve program for corn and wheat, and for other purposes.
- S. 984 (96th): An act to provide the Secretary of Agriculture with authority to reduce marketing penalties for peanuts.
- S. 3384 (95th): Agricultural Foreign Investment Disclosure Act
- S. 3467 (95th): An Act to designate the United States Department of Agriculture’s Pecan Field Station in Brownwood, Texas, as the “W. R. ‘Bob’ Poage Pecan Field Station”.
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
Talmadge sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Agriculture and Food (31%) Social Welfare (20%) Government Operations and Politics (13%) Taxation (11%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (7%) Labor and Employment (6%) Economics and Public Finance (6%) Health (6%)
Some of Talmadge’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 3256 (96th): Food Safety and Quality Amendments of 1980
- S. 3178 (96th): A bill to establish the Franklin Delano Roosevelt-Warm Springs National Historic Site ...
- S. 3157 (96th): A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code with respect to allowance ...
- S. 3158 (96th): A bill to amend the Adoption Assistance and Child Welfare Act of ...
- S. 3159 (96th): A bill to make technical corrections in certain provisions of Public Law ...
- S. 3150 (96th): A bill to amend title IV of the Social Security Act to ...
- S. 3155 (96th): A bill to amend the Adoption Assistance and Child Welfare Act of ...
View All » (including bills from previous years)
From Jan 1957 to Dec 1980, Talmadge missed 1,277 of 9,064 roll call votes, which is 14.1%. This is worse than the median of 9.2% among the lifetime records of senators serving in Dec 1980. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- Congressional Biographical Directory for elected positions
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills