Our unique analysis of the bills Berman sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the House of Representatives in 2013. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Berman is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Berman was the primary sponsor of 24 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 3992 (112th): To allow otherwise eligible Israeli nationals to receive E-2 nonimmigrant visas if similarly situated United States nationals are eligible for similar nonimmigrant status in Israel.
- H.R. 2194 (111th): Comprehensive Iran Sanctions, Accountability, and Divestment Act of 2010
- H.R. 5139 (111th): Extending Immunities to the Office of the High Representative and the International Civilian Office in Kosovo Act of 2010
- H.R. 3642 (111th): Enhanced Partnership with Pakistan Act of 2009
- H.R. 7311 (110th): William Wilberforce Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act of 2008
- H.R. 6531 (110th): Vessel Hull Design Protection Amendments of 2008
- H.R. 7177 (110th): Naval Vessel Transfer Act of 2008
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Berman sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
International Affairs (41%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (11%) Government Operations and Politics (10%) Immigration (9%) Law (8%) Armed Forces and National Security (8%) Crime and Law Enforcement (7%) Science, Technology, Communications (6%)
Some of Berman’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6644 (112th): Global Partnerships Act of 2012
- H.Res. 714 (112th): Expressing support to end commercial whaling in all of its forms and ...
- H.Res. 636 (112th): Expressing support for designation of the period beginning April 9, 2012, and ...
- H.R. 4824 (112th): To suspend temporarily the duty on non-woven recycled polyethylene terephthalate.
- H.R. 4822 (112th): To extend the temporary suspension of duty on certain shopping bags.
- H.R. 4823 (112th): To suspend temporarily the duty on spun-bonded, non-woven, high-density polyethylene materials.
- H.R. 4229 (112th): Iron Dome Support Act
|Berman’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 6233 (112th): Agricultural Disaster Assistance Act of 2012
Aug 2, 2012. Passed 223/197.
H.R. 3080 (112th): United States-Korea Free Trade Agreement Implementation Act
Oct 12, 2011. Passed 278/151.
H.R. 3078 (112th): United States-Colombia Trade Promotion Agreement Implementation Act
Oct 12, 2011. Passed 262/167.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
H.Res. 572 (111th): Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 2647) to authorize appropriations for fiscal year 2010 for military ...
Jun 24, 2009. Passed 222/202.
H.R. 6304 (110th): FISA Amendments Act of 2008
Jun 20, 2008. Passed 293/129.
The FISA Amendments Act of 2008 (also called the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978 Amendments Act of 2008, H.R. 6304, enacted 2008-07-10) is an Act of Congress that amended the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act. It has been used as the legal basis for mass ...
H.R. 2642 (110th): Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008
Jun 19, 2008. Passed 268/155.
H.R. 2764 (110th): Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2008
Dec 19, 2007. Passed 272/142.
H.Res. 801 (110th): Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 3688) to implement the United States-Peru Trade Promotion Agreement.
Nov 7, 2007. Passed 349/55.
H.R. 1830 (110th): To extend the authorities of the Andean Trade Preference Act until February 29, 2008.
Jun 27, 2007. Passed 365/59.
From Jan 1983 to Jan 2013, Berman missed 1,432 of 18,002 roll call votes, which is 8.0%. This is much worse than the median of 2.6% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Jan 2013. ProPublica has tracked 19 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- Congress-Legislators, a community project collecting election information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Congressional Pictorial Directory for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills