Read our 2014 Report Card for McKeon.
Our unique analysis of the bills McKeon sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the House of Representatives in 2014. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). McKeon is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
McKeon was the primary sponsor of 15 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 4939 (113th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 2551 Galena Avenue in Simi Valley, California, as the “Neil Havens Post Office”.
- H.R. 1960 (113th): National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2014
- H.R. 4310 (112th): National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2013
- H.R. 2467 (112th): Bridgeport Indian Colony Land Trust, Health, and Economic Development Act of 2012
- H.R. 1818 (112th): Mt. Andrea Lawrence Designation Act of 2011
- H.R. 1540 (112th): National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012
- H.R. 854 (109th): To provide for certain lands to be held in trust for the Utu Utu Gwaitu Paiute Tribe.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
McKeon sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Public Lands and Natural Resources (33%) Armed Forces and National Security (30%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (17%) Animals (7%) Crime and Law Enforcement (7%) Government Operations and Politics (7%)
Some of McKeon’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Con.Res. 123 (113th): Directing the Clerk of the House of Representatives to make a correction ...
- H.Con.Res. 121 (113th): Providing for a correction in the enrollment of the bill H.R. 3979.
- H.R. 5742 (113th): Soledad Canyon Settlement Act
- H.R. 5357 (113th): Saint Francis Dam Disaster National Memorial Act
- H.R. 4939 (113th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at ...
- H.R. 4435 (113th): Howard P. “Buck” McKeon National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2015
- H.Con.Res. 71 (113th): Providing for corrections to the enrollment of the bill H.R. 3304.
From Jan 1993 to Dec 2014, McKeon missed 386 of 14,635 roll call votes, which is 2.6%. This is on par with the median of 2.5% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2014. ProPublica has tracked 8 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: