Humphrey is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the Senate in 1978 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Humphrey sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 1973 to Oct 15, 1978. See full analysis methodology.
Humphrey was the primary sponsor of 12 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 3545 (95th): A Bill to authorize and direct the Secretary of the Interior to acquire certain lands for the benefit of the Mille Lacs Band of the Minnesota Chippewa ...
- S. 50 (95th): Full Employment and Balanced Growth Act
- S. 3091 (94th): An Act to amend the Forest and Rangeland Renewable Resources Planning Act of 1974, and for other purposes.
- S. 3557 (94th): An Act to authorize the obligation and expenditure of funds to implement for fiscal year 1977 the provisions of the Treaty of Friendship and Cooperation between the ...
- S. 1526 (94th): An Act to make additional funds available for purposes of certain public lands in northern Minnesota, and for other purposes.
- S. 3056 (94th): Guatemala Relief and Rehabilitation Act
- S. 1847 (94th): A bill to authorize the One Hundred and First Airborne Division Association to erect a memorial in the District of Columbia or its environs.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Humphrey sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (21%) Agriculture and Food (20%) Private Legislation (15%) International Affairs (11%) Economics and Public Finance (10%) Energy (9%) Education (7%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (7%)
Some of Humphrey’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 3545 (95th): A Bill to authorize and direct the Secretary of the Interior to ...
- S.J.Res. 144 (95th): A joint resolution authorizing the President to proclaim October 24 of each ...
- S. 3230 (95th): A bill to amend title 5 of the United States Code to ...
- S. 3224 (95th): A bill for the relief of Ms. Linda Lee.
- S. 3198 (95th): A bill to increase the maximum amount of aggregate payments which may ...
- S. 2681 (95th): A bill for the relief of Mrs. Bertha Alicia Ceballos.
- S.Con.Res. 62 (95th): A concurrent resolution expressing the sense of the Congress that the United ...
From Jan 1949 to Feb 1978, Humphrey missed 1,404 of 6,988 roll call votes, which is 20.1%. This is much worse than the median of 12.1% among the lifetime records of senators serving in Feb 1978. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills