Read our 2016 Report Card for Speier.
Our unique analysis of the bills Speier has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into her position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Speier is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Jackie Speier sits on the following committees:
Speier was the primary sponsor of 4 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 2191 (114th): Breast Cancer Research Stamp Reauthorization Act of 2015
- H.R. 3003 (112th): To award a Congressional Gold Medal to Dr. Balazs “Ernie” Bodai in recognition of his many outstanding contributions to the Nation, including a tireless commitment to breast ...
- H.R. 6073 (111th): To award a Congressional Gold Medal to Dr. Balazs “Ernie” Bodai in recognition of his many outstanding contributions to the Nation, including a tireless commitment to breast ...
- H.R. 6982 (110th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 210 South Ellsworth Avenue in San Mateo, California, as the “Leo J. Ryan Post Office ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Speier sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Armed Forces and National Security (21%) Health (19%) Government Operations and Politics (16%) Crime and Law Enforcement (12%) Education (11%) Commerce (9%) Agriculture and Food (7%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (5%)
Some of Speier’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 464: Designating the week of July 17 through July 21, 2017, as “National Ectodermal ...
- H.R. 3259: To prohibit the use of Federal funds for the establishment or support of ...
- H.R. 2595: Strengthening the Department of Homeland Security Secure Mail Initiative Act
- H.R. 2344: Crab Emergency Disaster Assistance Act of 2017
- H.R. 2180: Access to Contraception for Women Servicemembers and Dependents Act of 2017
- H.R. 2066: PIMA of 2017
- H.R. 1588: Servicemember Intimate Privacy Protection Act
|Speier’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 1039: Probation Officer Protection Act of 2017
May 19, 2017. Passed 229/177.
H.R. 1039 amends the federal criminal code to authorize a probation officer to arrest a person, without warrant, if there is probable cause to believe that person forcibly assaulted or obstructed a probation officer while performing their official duties. The bill also would direct the ...
S. 612: A bill to designate the Federal building and United States courthouse located at 1300 Victoria Street in Laredo, Texas, as the “George P. Kazen Federal Building ...
Dec 8, 2016. Passed 360/61.
H.R. 3038: Highway and Transportation Funding Act of 2015, Part II
Jul 15, 2015. Passed 312/119.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
Dec 11, 2014. Passed 219/206.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 [pdf], which was approved by the House on December 11, 2014 and by the Senate on December 13, 2014. The bill was originally introduced on January 3, 2013 by ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 4681 (113th): Intelligence Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2015
May 30, 2014. Passed 345/59.
H.R. 5325 (112th): Energy and Water Development and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2013
Jun 6, 2012. Passed 255/165.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
From Apr 2008 to Jul 2017, Speier missed 672 of 6,708 roll call votes, which is 10.0%. This is much worse than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 17 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: