Our unique analysis of the bills Hecht sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the Senate in 1988. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Hecht is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Hecht was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- S. 59 (100th): National Forest and Public Lands of Nevada Enhancement Act of 1988
- S. 854 (100th): Nevada-Florida Land Exchange Authorization Act of 1988
- S. 2506 (99th): Great Basin National Park Act of 1986
- S.J.Res. 387 (99th): A joint resolution to designate the week of October 19, 1986, through October 26, 1986, “National Housing Week”.
- S.J.Res. 197 (99th): A joint resolution to designate the week of October 6, 1985 through October 13, 1985 as “National Housing Week”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Hecht sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Public Lands and Natural Resources (28%) Environmental Protection (21%) Energy (14%) Taxation (10%) Social Welfare (10%) Transportation and Public Works (7%) Armed Forces and National Security (5%) Labor and Employment (5%)
Some of Hecht’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 2905 (100th): A bill to authorize the exchange of certain public lands in California ...
- S. 2874 (100th): Wetland Enhancement and Construction Cost Reduction Act of 1988
- S. 2870 (100th): Fairness in American Health Care Act
- S. 2845 (100th): A bill to provide for the transfer of a certain parcel of ...
- S. 2820 (100th): A bill to prohibit a State from imposing an income tax on ...
- S. 2817 (100th): A bill entitled the “National Right to Work Bill”.
- S. 2794 (100th): Stillwater Wildlife Management Area Restoration and Enhancement Act of 1988
From Feb 1983 to Oct 1988, Hecht missed 99 of 2,201 roll call votes, which is 4.5%. This is on par with the median of 5.9% among the lifetime records of senators serving in Oct 1988. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- Congress-Legislators, a community project collecting election information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills