Herrera Beutler is the representative for Washington’s 3rd congressional district (view map) and is a Republican. She has served since Jan 5, 2011. Herrera Beutler is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Herrera Beutler.
Herrera Beutler is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Herrera Beutler has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Jun 17, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Jaime Herrera Beutler sits on the following committees:
Herrera Beutler was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1318 (115th): Preventing Maternal Deaths Act of 2018
- H.R. 5317 (115th): To repeal section 2141 of the Revised Statutes to remove the prohibition on certain alcohol manufacturing on Indian lands.
- H.R. 2083 (115th): Endangered Salmon and Fisheries Predation Prevention Act
- H.R. 374 (115th): To remove the sunset provision of section 203 of Public Law 105-384, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 5065 (114th): Bottles and Breastfeeding Equipment Screening Act
Does 5 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Herrera Beutler sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Herrera Beutler’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 3707: To prohibit Federal agencies from obtaining geolocation information without a warrant, and for ...
- H.R. 2090: Student Loan Disclosure Transparency Act of 2021
- H.R. 1235: Charlotte Woodward Organ Transplant Discrimination Prevention Act
- H.Res. 88: Recognizing women’s cardiovascular health as a critical health care priority that affects every ...
- H.R. 8981 (116th): Charlotte Woodward Organ Transplant Discrimination Prevention Act
- H.R. 8812 (116th): Relief for Working Families Act of 2020
- H.Res. 1116 (116th): Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 7664) to permit the Administrator ...
From Jan 2011 to Jun 2021, Herrera Beutler missed 840 of 6,471 roll call votes, which is 13.0%. This is much worse than the median of 2.0% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: