Read our 2018 Report Card for Herrera Beutler.
Herrera Beutler is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Herrera Beutler has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Oct 18, 2019. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Jaime Herrera Beutler sits on the following committees:
House Committee on Appropriations
- Ranking Member, Subcommittee on Legislative Branch
- Member, Subcommittee on Labor, Health and Human Services, Education, and Related Agencies
House Committee on Science, Space, and Technology
- Member, Subcommittee on Research and Technology
Herrera Beutler was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1318 (115th): Preventing Maternal Deaths Act of 2018
- H.R. 5317: To repeal section 2141 of the Revised Statutes to remove the prohibition on certain alcohol manufacturing on Indian lands.
- H.R. 2083: Endangered Salmon and Fisheries Predation Prevention Act
- H.R. 374: To remove the sunset provision of section 203 of Public Law 105-384, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 5065 (114th): Bottles and Breastfeeding Equipment Screening Act
Does 5 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Herrera Beutler sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Health (25%) Transportation and Public Works (17%) Armed Forces and National Security (17%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (12%) Environmental Protection (12%) Animals (8%) Emergency Management (8%)
Some of Herrera Beutler’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 643: Recognizing women’s cardiovascular health as a critical health care priority that affects every ...
- H.R. 4357: Special Forest Products Program Reauthorization Act of 2019
- H.R. 3034: Reserve Medical Officer Parity Act
- H.R. 1448: To amend title 38, United States Code, to waive fees for Purple Heart ...
- H.R. 851: Oil and Flammable Material Rail Transportation Safety Act
- H.R. 667: Regulatory Certainty for Navigable Waters Act
- H.R. 7194: Regulatory Certainty for Navigable Waters Act
From Jan 2011 to Oct 2019, Herrera Beutler missed 832 of 5,915 roll call votes, which is 14.1%. This is much worse than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: