Abdnor, a Republican, was a senator from South Dakota from 1981 to 1986.
He was previously the representative for South Dakota's 2nd congressional district (1973-1980).
Abdnor is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the Senate in 1986 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Abdnor sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Abdnor was the primary sponsor of 11 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S.J.Res. 318 (99th): A joint resolution designating November 1986 as “National Diabetes Month”.
- S. 1349 (99th): A bill to provide for the use and distribution of funds awarded in Docket 363 to the Mdewakanton and Mahpekute Eastern or Mississippi Sioux before the United ...
- S.J.Res. 299 (98th): A joint resolution to designate November 1984 as “National Diabetes Month”.
- S. 2663 (98th): An Act pertaining to the inheritance of trust or restricted land on the Lake Traverse Indian Reservation, North Dakota and South Dakota, and for other purposes.
- S. 684 (98th): Water Resources Research Act of 1983
- S. 448 (98th): A bill to authorize rehabilitation of the Belle Fourche irrigation project, and for other purposes.
- S.J.Res. 121 (98th): A joint resolution to designate November 1983 as “National Diabetes Month”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Abdnor sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Water Resources Development (23%) Taxation (17%) Agriculture and Food (16%) Economics and Public Finance (14%) Government Operations and Politics (11%) Energy (7%) Private Legislation (6%) Environmental Protection (6%)
Some of Abdnor’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 2767 (99th): Farm Policy Reform Act of 1986
- S. 2737 (99th): A bill to amend the Commodity Exchange Act to remove the application ...
- S. 2681 (99th): A bill to amend the Small Business Act to increase the authorized ...
- S. 2589 (99th): Farm Mortgage Guarantee Act of 1986
- S.Con.Res. 146 (99th): A concurrent resolution on the Essential Air Service Program.
- S. 2502 (99th): A bill entitled the “Workers Freedom of Choice Act”.
- S. 2350 (99th): A bill to extend the period for filing a claim for credit ...
From Jan 1981 to Oct 1986, Abdnor missed 43 of 2,368 roll call votes, which is 1.8%. This is better than the median of 6.0% among the lifetime records of senators serving in Oct 1986. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills