Abourezk is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the Senate in 1978 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Abourezk sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Abourezk was the primary sponsor of 16 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 1214 (95th): Indian Child Welfare Act
- S. 2294 (95th): A bill for the relief of Joselyn Buccat Lalley and Jodelyn Buccat Lalley.
- S. 1215 (95th): Tribally Controlled Community College Assistance Act
- S. 3069 (95th): A bill to provide that members of the Sisseton-Wahpeton Sioux Tribe may request the Secretary of the Interior to acquire certain lands, and to provide that the ...
- S.J.Res. 102 (95th): Joint resolution American Indians Religious Freedom
- S. 1792 (95th): A bill to amend the Administrative Conference Act.
- S. 838 (95th): An Act to amend the Indian Claims Commission Act of August 13, 1946, and for other purposes.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Abourezk sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (19%) Native Americans (18%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (16%) Agriculture and Food (12%) Private Legislation (12%) Economics and Public Finance (8%) Water Resources Development (8%) Law (7%)
Some of Abourezk’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 3610 (95th): Lake Traverse Indian Reservation Recognition Act
- S. 3609 (95th): A Bill to authorize the Blackfeet and Gros Ventre Tribes of Indians ...
- S. 3553 (95th): A Bill to provide for a study of the Crow Creek Village ...
- S.Res. 575 (95th): A Resolution authorizing supplemental expenditures by the Select Committee on Indian Affairs.
- S.Res. 574 (95th): A Resolution waiving section 402 (a) of the Congressional Budget Act of ...
- S. 3525 (95th): A bill for the relief of Paul Sakwa.
- S.Res. 544 (95th): A resolution waiving section 402 (a) of the Congressional Budget Act of ...
From Jan 1973 to Oct 1978, Abourezk missed 804 of 3,605 roll call votes, which is 22.3%. This is much worse than the median of 12.1% among the lifetime records of senators serving in Oct 1978. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills