Allen is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the Senate in 1978 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Allen sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Allen was the primary sponsor of 8 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 3045 (95th): An Act to amend the Farm Credit Act of 1971 to extend the term for production credit association loans to producers or harvesters of aquatic products.
- S. 405 (95th): A bill for the relief of Chong Cha Williams.
- S. 3380 (95th): A bill to amend section 1445(b) of the Food and Agriculture Act of 1977 to modify the formula for distribution of funds authorized thereunder for agricultural research.
- S.J.Res. 81 (95th): A joint resolution to express the sense of the Congress that, in the light of history, the third Thursday in December, 1977, would be a most appropriate ...
- S. 1269 (95th): A bill for the relief of Camilla A. Hester.
- S. 2533 (94th): An Act to provide that the lake formed by the lock and dam referred to as the “Jones Bluff lock and dam” on the Alabama River, Alabama, ...
- S. 2534 (94th): A bill to designate the new Forest Service laboratory at Auburn, Alabama, as the “George W. Andrews Forestry Sciences Laboratory”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Allen sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (30%) Education (12%) Law (11%) Taxation (10%) Private Legislation (10%) Agriculture and Food (10%) Armed Forces and National Security (9%) Crime and Law Enforcement (9%)
Some of Allen’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 3396 (95th): A bill to change the name of the China Bluff Access Area ...
- S. 3380 (95th): A bill to amend section 1445(b) of the Food and Agriculture Act ...
- S. 3322 (95th): A bill to consent to the Historic Chattahoochee Compact between the States ...
- S. 3134 (95th): A bill to provide that certain statutory subsistence allowances received by State ...
- S.J.Res. 136 (95th): A resolution asking the President of the United States to declare the ...
- S. 3080 (95th): A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 to exclude ...
- S. 3045 (95th): An Act to amend the Farm Credit Act of 1971 to extend ...
From Jan 1969 to May 1978, Allen missed 165 of 4,867 roll call votes, which is 3.4%. This is better than the median of 12.1% among the lifetime records of senators serving in May 1978. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills