Baird is the representative for Indiana’s 4th congressional district (view map) and is a Republican. He has served since Jan 3, 2019. Baird is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Baird.
Baird is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Baird has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Apr 12, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
James Baird sits on the following committees:
Baird sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Baird’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6145 (116th): Industries of the Future Act of 2020
- H.R. 4817 (116th): VA Directly Returning Opioid Prescriptions Act
- H.R. 4770 (116th): CFTC Advisory Committee Improvement Act
- H.Res. 508 (116th): Honoring the 50th anniversary of the return of the Indiana Rangers.
- H.R. 3774 (116th): The Small Business Innovation Research and Small Business Technology Transfer Improvements Act ...
From Jan 2019 to Apr 2021, Baird missed 9 of 1,052 roll call votes, which is 0.9%. This is better than the median of 2.0% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: