Read our 2016 Report Card for Clyburn.
Our unique analysis of the bills Clyburn has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Clyburn is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Clyburn was the primary sponsor of 7 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 3004 (114th): To amend the Gullah/Geechee Cultural Heritage Act to extend the authorization for the Gullah/Geechee Cultural Heritage Corridor Commission.
- H.R. 2131 (114th): To designate the Federal building and United States courthouse located at 83 Meeting Street in Charleston, South Carolina, as the “J. Waties Waring Judicial Center”.
- H.R. 6379 (112th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 6239 Savannah Highway in Ravenel, South Carolina, as the “Representative Curtis B. Inabinett, Sr. Post ...
- H.R. 3287 (108th): To award congressional gold medals posthumously on behalf of Reverend Joseph A. DeLaine, Harry and Eliza Briggs, and Levi Pearson in recognition of their contributions to the ...
- H.R. 1055 (108th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 1901 West Evans Street in Florence, South Carolina, as the “Dr. Roswell N. Beck Post ...
- H.R. 3018 (106th): An Act to designate certain facilities of the United States Postal Service in South Carolina.
- H.R. 4543 (103rd): To designate the United States courthouse to be constructed at 907 Richland Street in Columbia, South Carolina, as the “Matthew J. Perry, Jr. United States Courthouse”.
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
Clyburn sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Clyburn’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 1135: To reauthorize the Historically Black Colleges and Universities Historic Preservation program.
- H.R. 5358 (114th): Penn School - Reconstruction Era National Monument Act
- H.R. 3051 (114th): Background Check Completion Act
- H.R. 3004 (114th): To amend the Gullah/Geechee Cultural Heritage Act to extend the authorization for ...
- H.Res. 344 (114th): Urging the discontinued use of the Confederate battle flag, which represents pain, ...
- H.R. 2131 (114th): To designate the Federal building and United States courthouse located at 83 ...
- H.R. 295 (114th): To reauthorize the Historically Black Colleges and Universities Historic Preservation program.
View All » (including bills from previous years)
|Clyburn’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
Dec 11, 2014. Passed 219/206.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 [pdf], which was approved by the House on December 11, 2014 and by the Senate on December 13, 2014. The bill was originally introduced on January 3, 2013 by ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 6190 (112th): Asthma Inhalers Relief Act of 2012
Dec 12, 2012. Failed 229/182.
H.R. 6233 (112th): Agricultural Disaster Assistance Act of 2012
Aug 2, 2012. Passed 223/197.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
H.R. 1752 (111th): To provide that the usual day for paying salaries in or under the House of Representatives may ...
Jul 30, 2009. Failed 282/144.
From Jan 1993 to Feb 2017, Clyburn missed 512 of 16,059 roll call votes, which is 3.2%. This is worse than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 12 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: