He is also House Majority Whip, a party leadership role. Party leaders focus more on setting their party’s legislative priorties than on introducing legislation.
Read our 2019 Report Card for Clyburn.
Clyburn is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Clyburn has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to May 28, 2020. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Clyburn was the primary sponsor of 9 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 972: Reconstruction Era National Historical Park Act
- H.R. 7230 (115th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 226 West Main Street in Lake City, South Carolina, as the “Postmaster Frazier B. Baker ...
- H.R. 3004 (114th): To amend the Gullah/Geechee Cultural Heritage Act to extend the authorization for the Gullah/Geechee Cultural Heritage Corridor Commission.
- H.R. 2131 (114th): To designate the Federal building and United States courthouse located at 83 Meeting Street in Charleston, South Carolina, as the “J. Waties Waring Judicial Center”.
- H.R. 6379 (112th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 6239 Savannah Highway in Ravenel, South Carolina, as the “Representative Curtis B. Inabinett, Sr. Post ...
- H.R. 3287 (108th): To award congressional gold medals posthumously on behalf of Reverend Joseph A. DeLaine, Harry and Eliza Briggs, and Levi Pearson in recognition of their contributions to the ...
- H.R. 1055 (108th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 1901 West Evans Street in Florence, South Carolina, as the “Dr. Roswell N. Beck Post ...
Does 9 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Clyburn sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Public Lands and Natural Resources (30%) Taxation (17%) Crime and Law Enforcement (13%) Housing and Community Development (13%) Civil Rights and Liberties, Minority Issues (9%) Health (9%) Water Resources Development (9%)
Some of Clyburn’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 7022: To direct the Federal Communications Commission to take certain actions to accelerate the ...
- H.R. 6807: To expand vote by mail and early voting, and to improve the safety, ...
- H.R. 5884: Legal Assistance to Prevent Evictions Act of 2020
- H.R. 5042: Opportunity Zone Reform Act
- H.R. 4808: Housing, Opportunity, Mobility, and Equity Act of 2019
- H.R. 3936: Southern Campaign of the Revolution National Heritage Corridor Act of 2019
- H.R. 3887: Student Loan Debt Relief Act of 2019
As House Majority Whip, Clyburn may be focused on his responsibilities other than introducing legislation, such as setting the chamber’s agenda, uniting his party, and brokering deals.
From Jan 1993 to May 2020, Clyburn missed 696 of 17,986 roll call votes, which is 3.9%. This is worse than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: