Haley is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1976 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Haley sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 1973 to Oct 1, 1976. See full analysis methodology.
Haley was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 10088 (93rd): A bill to establish the Big Cypress National Preserve in the State of Florida, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 10253 (93rd): A bill to establish the Big Cypress National Preserve in the State of Florida, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 10089 (93rd): A bill to establish the Big Cypress National Preserve in the State of Florida, and for other purposes.
Does 3 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Haley sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Haley’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 14955 (94th): A bill to authorize the Secretary of the Interior to convey certain ...
- H.R. 13628 (94th): A bill for the relief of Graciela Varela.
- H.R. 13081 (94th): A bill to authorize the Secretary of the Interior to convey certain ...
- H.Res. 1034 (94th): A resolution providing for the expenses for the 2nd session activities of ...
- H.R. 11792 (94th): Federal Energy Development Impact Assistance Act
- H.R. 10629 (94th): A bill to authorize the Secretary of the Interior to conduct a ...
- H.R. 8894 (94th): A bill to authorize the Secretary of the Interior to convey certain ...
From Jan 1953 to Oct 1976, Haley missed 273 of 5,455 roll call votes, which is 5.0%. This is better than the median of 8.7% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1976. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills