Hastings is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1976 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Hastings sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Hastings was the primary sponsor of 8 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 9019 (94th): Health Maintenance Organization Amendments
- H.R. 1399 (94th): A bill for the relief of Maria Del Carmen Alvarado Martinez.
- H.R. 2591 (94th): A bill to amend title 18 of the United States Code to make parallel the exemption from lottery prohibitions granted to newspapers and radio and television.
- H.R. 7954 (93rd): A bill to direct the Secretary of Agriculture to release on behalf of the U.S. conditions in a deed conveying certain lands to the State of New ...
- H.R. 16167 (93rd): Railroad Retirement Act
- H.R. 14368 (93rd): Energy Supply and Environmental Coordination Act
- H.R. 9235 (93rd): Northeast Region Rail Services Act
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Hastings sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Health (37%) Labor and Employment (11%) Transportation and Public Works (11%) Government Operations and Politics (10%) Private Legislation (8%) Taxation (8%) Social Welfare (8%) Agriculture and Food (7%)
Some of Hastings’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 11331 (94th): A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 to treat ...
- H.R. 10525 (94th): A bill for the relief of Joel Morrissey.
- H.Res. 839 (94th): Resolution to disapprove of the Final System Plan prepared by the United ...
- H.R. 10321 (94th): A bill to amend the Regional Rail Reorganization Act of 1973 to ...
- H.R. 10322 (94th): A bill to amend the Regional Rail Reorganization Act of 1973 to ...
- H.R. 9328 (94th): A bill to amend section 402 of the Regional Rail Reorganization Act ...
- H.R. 9066 (94th): Health Maintenance Organization Amendments
From Jan 1969 to Jan 1976, Hastings missed 414 of 2,787 roll call votes, which is 14.9%. This is much worse than the median of 8.7% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Jan 1976. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills