Lankford is the junior senator from Oklahoma and is a Republican. He has served since Jan 6, 2015. Lankford is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
He was previously the representative for Oklahoma’s 5th congressional district as a Republican from 2011 to 2014.
Read our 2019 Report Card for Lankford.
Lankford is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Lankford has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Jan 6, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Lankford was the primary sponsor of 8 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 4138: Telework for U.S. Innovation Act
- S. 1430: Representative Payee Fraud Prevention Act of 2019
- S. 1829: GREAT Act
- S. 3675 (115th): A bill to amend the Federal Assets Sale and Transfer Act of 2016 to ensure that the Public Buildings Reform Board has adequate time to carry out ...
- S. 1887 (115th): Direct Hire of Students and Recent Graduates Act of 2017
- S. 1648 (115th): Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 2018
- S. 2966 (114th): District of Columbia Judicial Financial Transparency Act
Does 8 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Lankford sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Lankford’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 4977: Retirement Annuity Supplement Clarity Act
- S. 4693: BEST Act
- S. 4691: Safeguarding Awards for Victims and Enforcement Settlements Act of 2020
- S. 4708: Pandemic Preparedness, Response, and Recovery Act of 2020
- S. 4692: GUIDE Compliance Act
- S. 4658: Women’s Public Health and Safety Act
- S. 4678: PTC Elimination Act
From Jan 2015 to Jan 2021, Lankford missed 3 of 1,822 roll call votes, which is 0.2%. This is better than the median of 1.6% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: