Read our 2014 Report Card for Moran.
Our unique analysis of the bills Moran sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the House of Representatives in 2014. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Moran is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Moran was the primary sponsor of 11 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 2480 (111th): Truth in Fur Labeling Act of 2010
- H.R. 5133 (108th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 11110 Sunset Hills Road in Reston, Virginia, as the “Martha Pennino Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 1761 (107th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 8588 Richmond Highway in Alexandria, Virginia, as the `Herb Harris Post Office Building’.
- H.R. 4835 (106th): To authorize the exchange of land between the Secretary of the Interior and the Director of Central Intelligence at the George Washington Memorial Parkway in McLean, Virginia, ...
- H.R. 1851 (105th): To designate the United States courthouse located at 200 South Washington Street in Alexandria, Virginia, as the “Martin V. B. Bostetter, Jr. United States Courthouse”.
- H.R. 2070 (104th): To provide for the distribution within the United States of the United States Information Agency film entitled “Fragile Ring of Life”.
- H.R. 2305 (104th): To designate the United States Courthouse for the Eastern District of Virginia in Alexandria, Virginia, as the “Albert V. Bryan United States Courthouse”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Moran sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Moran’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5743 (113th): To establish a commission to identify and examine issues of national concern ...
- H.R. 5249 (113th): Rosoboronexport Embargo Act of 2014
- H.R. 4623 (113th): To direct the Secretary of Transportation to conduct a notice and comment ...
- H.R. 4525 (113th): Traveling Exotic Animal Protection Act
- H.R. 4148 (113th): Humane Cosmetics Act
- H.R. 4131 (113th): State and Local Predatory Towing Enforcement Act
- H.R. 3223 (113th): Federal Employee Retroactive Pay Fairness Act
|Moran’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
Dec 11, 2014. Passed 219/206.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 [pdf], which was approved by the House on December 11, 2014 and by the Senate on December 13, 2014. The bill was originally introduced on January 3, 2013 by ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 2362 (112th): Indian Tribal Trade and Investment Demonstration Project Act of 2011
Jul 23, 2012. Failed 222/160.
H.R. 3523 (112th): Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act
Apr 26, 2012. Passed 248/168.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
S. 3729 (111th): National Aeronautics and Space Administration Authorization Act of 2010
Sep 29, 2010. Passed 304/118.
H.R. 5349 (110th): To extend the Protect America Act of 2007 for 21 days.
Feb 13, 2008. Failed 191/229.
H.R. 3087 (110th): A bill to require the Secretary of Defense to submit to Congress reports on the status of ...
Oct 2, 2007. Passed 377/46.
H.R. 2419 (110th): Food, Conservation, and Energy Act of 2008
Jul 27, 2007. Passed 231/191.
The Food, Conservation, and Energy Act of 2008 (Pub.L. 110–234, H.R. 2419, 122 Stat. 923, enacted May 22, 2008, also known as the 2008 U.S. Farm Bill) was a $288 billion, five-year agricultural policy bill that was passed into law by the United States Congress ...
H.R. 1830 (110th): To extend the authorities of the Andean Trade Preference Act until February 29, 2008.
Jun 27, 2007. Passed 365/59.
From Jan 1991 to Dec 2014, Moran missed 824 of 15,567 roll call votes, which is 5.3%. This is much worse than the median of 2.5% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2014. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: