Olin was the representative for Virginia’s 6th congressional district and was a Democrat. He served from 1983 to 1992.
Olin is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1992 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Olin sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 1987 to Oct 9, 1992. See full analysis methodology.
Olin was the primary sponsor of 4 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 3888 (101st): To allow a certain parcel of land in Rockingham County, Virginia, to be used for a child care center.
- H.R. 310 (101st): To remove a restriction from a parcel of land in Roanoke, Virginia, in order for that land to be conveyed to the State of Virginia for use ...
- H.R. 2878 (100th): A bill to designate certain national forest system lands in the States of Virginia and West Virginia as wilderness areas.
- H.J.Res. 207 (100th): A joint resolution commemorating the fortieth anniversary of the Marshall plan.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Olin sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Public Lands and Natural Resources (21%) Private Legislation (14%) Environmental Protection (14%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (14%) Education (10%) Agriculture and Food (10%) Law (10%) Immigration (7%)
Some of Olin’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5418 (102nd): To amend the Appalachian Regional Development Act of 1965 to include Roanoke ...
- H.R. 5068 (102nd): For the relief of Dallas M. Patterson.
- H.R. 4235 (102nd): National Children’s Health Care Act of 1992
- H.R. 3477 (102nd): Combined Sewer Overflow Control Act
- H.R. 3414 (102nd): Timber Economics Act of 1991
- H.R. 1807 (102nd): To extend the existing suspension of duty on Diflunisal.
- H.R. 1572 (102nd): Private Property Rights Act of 1991
From Jan 1983 to Oct 1992, Olin missed 165 of 4,571 roll call votes, which is 3.6%. This is on par with the median of 4.4% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1992. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills