Quayle is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the Senate in 1990 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Quayle sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Quayle was the primary sponsor of 18 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S.J.Res. 248 (100th): A joint resolution to designate the week of October 2, 1988, through October 8, 1988, as “Mental Illness Awareness Week”.
- S.J.Res. 76 (100th): A joint resolution to designate the week of October 4, 1987, through October 10, 1987 as “Mental Illness Awareness Week”.
- S. 2069 (99th): Job Training Partnership Act Amendments of 1986
- S.J.Res. 298 (99th): A joint resolution to designate the week of October 5, 1986, through October 11, 1986, as “Mental Illness Awareness Week”.
- S. 2329 (99th): Student Financial Assistance Technical Corrections Act of 1986
- S.J.Res. 314 (99th): A joint resolution to designate the week beginning July 27, 1986, as “National Nuclear Medicine Week”.
- S. 1264 (99th): Arts, Humanities, and Museums Amendments of 1985
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Quayle sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Education (22%) Labor and Employment (21%) Economics and Public Finance (14%) Government Operations and Politics (12%) Health (10%) Armed Forces and National Security (9%) Taxation (7%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (5%)
Some of Quayle’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 2700 (100th): Pension Benefit Protection Act
- S. 2679 (100th): At-Risk Youth Employment and Training Amendments of 1988
- S. 2579 (100th): Library Improvement Act of 1988
- S.Res. 444 (100th): A resolution to express the sense of the Senate on the Internal ...
- S. 2546 (100th): Choices in Child Care Act of 1988
- S. 2376 (100th): A bill to encourage the advance notification of major employment reductions, and ...
- S. 2343 (100th): Pension Portability Act of 1988
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills