Our unique analysis of the bills Quayle sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the Senate in 1990. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Quayle is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Quayle was the primary sponsor of 17 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S.J.Res. 248 (100th): A joint resolution to designate the week of October 2, 1988, through October 8, 1988, as “Mental Illness Awareness Week”.
- S.J.Res. 76 (100th): A joint resolution to designate the week of October 4, 1987, through October 10, 1987 as “Mental Illness Awareness Week”.
- S. 2069 (99th): Job Training Partnership Act Amendments of 1986
- S.J.Res. 298 (99th): A joint resolution to designate the week of October 5, 1986, through October 11, 1986, as “Mental Illness Awareness Week”.
- S. 2329 (99th): Student Financial Assistance Technical Corrections Act of 1986
- S. 1264 (99th): Arts, Humanities, and Museums Amendments of 1985
- S.J.Res. 130 (99th): A joint resolution designating the week beginning on November 10, 1985, as “National Blood Pressure Awareness Week”.
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
Quayle sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Education (22%) Labor and Employment (21%) Economics and Public Finance (14%) Government Operations and Politics (12%) Health (10%) Armed Forces and National Security (9%) Taxation (7%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (5%)
Some of Quayle’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 2700 (100th): Pension Benefit Protection Act
- S. 2679 (100th): At-Risk Youth Employment and Training Amendments of 1988
- S. 2579 (100th): Library Improvement Act of 1988
- S.Res. 444 (100th): A resolution to express the sense of the Senate on the Internal ...
- S. 2546 (100th): Choices in Child Care Act of 1988
- S. 2376 (100th): A bill to encourage the advance notification of major employment reductions, and ...
- S. 2343 (100th): Pension Portability Act of 1988
View All » (including bills from previous years)
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- Congressional Biographical Directory for elected positions
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills