Saxton, a Republican, was the representative for New Jersey's 3rd congressional district from 1993 to 2008.
He was previously the representative for New Jersey's 13th congressional district (1984-1992).
Saxton is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2008 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Saxton sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Saxton was the primary sponsor of 14 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 465 (110th): Asian Elephant Conservation Reauthorization Act of 2007
- H.R. 5381 (109th): National Fish Hatchery System Volunteer Act of 2006
- H.R. 2107 (109th): National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Maintenance Fund Act of 2005
- H.R. 2408 (108th): National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer Act of 2004
- H.R. 700 (107th): Asian Elephant Conservation Reauthorization Act of 2001
- H.R. 2903 (106th): Striped Bass Conservation, Atlantic Coastal Fisheries Management, and Marine Mammal Rescue Assistance Act of 2000
- H.R. 2454 (106th): Arctic Tundra Habitat Emergency Conservation Act
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Saxton sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (19%) Economics and Public Finance (17%) Social Welfare (12%) Labor and Employment (12%) Armed Forces and National Security (11%) Environmental Protection (10%) Finance and Financial Sector (9%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (9%)
Some of Saxton’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 7105 (110th): Urban Medicare-Dependent Hospitals Preservation Act of 2008
- H.R. 6042 (110th): Price Stability and Inflation Targeting Act of 2008
- H.R. 4920 (110th): To extend the temporary suspension of duty on certain ion-exchange resins.
- H.R. 4921 (110th): To extend the temporary suspension of duty on Lewatit.
- H.R. 3840 (110th): To prohibit commercial fishing of Atlantic menhaden for reduction purposes in inland, ...
- H.Res. 508 (110th): Recognizing the strong security alliance between the Government of Japan and the ...
- H.R. 2709 (110th): To extend the minimum wage index established by regulation for each all-urban ...
|Saxton’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.Res. 1525 (110th): Providing for consideration of the Senate amendments to the bill (H.R. 1424) to amend section 712 of ...
Oct 3, 2008. Passed 223/205.
H.R. 6707 (110th): Taking Responsible Action for Community Safety Act
Sep 27, 2008. Failed 243/175.
H.R. 3355 (110th): Homeowners’ Defense Act of 2007
Nov 8, 2007. Passed 258/155.
H.Res. 801 (110th): Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 3688) to implement the United States-Peru Trade Promotion Agreement.
Nov 7, 2007. Passed 349/55.
H.R. 1830 (110th): To extend the authorities of the Andean Trade Preference Act until February 29, 2008.
Jun 27, 2007. Passed 365/59.
From Jan 1985 to Dec 2008, Saxton missed 383 of 13,835 roll call votes, which is 2.8%. This is on par with the median of 3.1% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2008. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Congressional Pictorial Directory for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills