Our unique analysis of the bills Scheuer sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the House of Representatives in 1992. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Scheuer is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Scheuer was the primary sponsor of 8 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.J.Res. 422 (102nd): Designating May 1992 as “Neurofibromatosis Awareness Month”.
- H.J.Res. 527 (100th): A joint resolution to designate the week of April 17, 1988, through April 24, 1988, as “Jewish Heritage Week”.
- H.J.Res. 297 (99th): A joint resolution to designate the week beginning July 27, 1986, as “National Nuclear Medicine Week”.
- H.R. 2800 (99th): A bill to provide authorization of appropriations for activities under the Land Remote-Sensing Commercialization Act of 1984.
- H.J.Res. 258 (99th): A joint resolution to designate May 6, 1985, as “Dr. Jonas E. Salk Day”.
- H.R. 7939 (96th): A bill to amend the Securities Investor Protection Act to increase the amount of protection available under such Act to customers of brokers and dealers, and to ...
- H.R. 6395 (96th): A bill to amend the Consumer Product Safety Act to modify certain post-employment restrictions applicable to officers and employees of the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Scheuer sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Scheuer’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5992 (102nd): Weather Service Modernization Act of 1992
- H.R. 5961 (102nd): Federal Fair Franchising Practices Act of 1992
- H.Res. 564 (102nd): Expressing the profound sorrow of the House of Representatives on the death ...
- H.R. 5389 (102nd): National Biological Resources Research and Development Act
- H.R. 5066 (102nd): Long Island Sound Water Quality Research Act
- H.Con.Res. 310 (102nd): To express the sense of the Congress that current natural gas economic ...
- H.R. 4537 (102nd): Coral Reef Environmental Act
From Jan 1965 to Oct 1992, Scheuer missed 1,105 of 11,436 roll call votes, which is 9.7%. This is much worse than the median of 4.4% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1992. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- Congress-Legislators, a community project collecting election information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills