Symington, a Democrat, was the representative for Missouri's 2nd congressional district from 1969 to 1976.
Symington is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1976 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Symington sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Symington was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 11847 (93rd): A bill for the relief of certain fire districts and departments in the State of Missouri to compensate them for expenses relating to a fire on Federal ...
- H.J.Res. 1080 (93rd): Joint resolution to authorize and request the President to issue annually a proclamation designating January of each year as March of Dimes Birth Defects Prevention Month.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Symington sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (32%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (18%) International Affairs (11%) Science, Technology, Communications (9%) Emergency Management (9%) Energy (9%) Water Resources Development (7%) Crime and Law Enforcement (7%)
Some of Symington’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 15628 (94th): A bill to require the Secretary of Transportation to make grants to ...
- H.R. 15244 (94th): A bill to clarify and reaffirm the intent of Congress with respect ...
- H.R. 15152 (94th): A bill to amend title XVIII of the Social Security Act to ...
- H.R. 14833 (94th): A bill to amend title XVIII of the Social Security Act to ...
- H.R. 14832 (94th): A bill to clarify and reaffirm the intent of Congress with respect ...
- H.R. 14630 (94th): A bill to amend title XVIII of the Social Security Act to ...
- H.Res. 1367 (94th): Resolution to provide that the establishment or adjustment of certain allowances to ...
From Jan 1969 to Oct 1976, Symington missed 702 of 3,443 roll call votes, which is 20.4%. This is much worse than the median of 8.7% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1976. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills