Turner was the representative for Texas’s 2nd congressional district and was a Democrat. He served from 1997 to 2004.
Turner is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2004 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Turner sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Turner was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 2458 (107th): E-Government Act of 2002
- H.R. 4285 (106th): Texas National Forests Improvement Act of 2000
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Turner sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (21%) Commerce (16%) Science, Technology, Communications (12%) Economics and Public Finance (11%) Crime and Law Enforcement (11%) International Affairs (11%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (10%) Law (8%)
Some of Turner’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5291 (108th): Winning the War on Terror Act of 2004
- H.R. 5130 (108th): Secure Borders Act
- H.R. 4830 (108th): Private Sector Preparedness Act of 2004
- H.R. 4550 (108th): Safe, Efficient, Coordinated, Unified, Revitalized, Enhanced Visa Waiver Act
- H.R. 4551 (108th): Columbia Space Shuttle Memorials Act of 2004
- H.R. 4317 (108th): To name the Department of Veterans Affairs outpatient clinic located in Lufkin, ...
- H.R. 4258 (108th): Rapid Pathogen Identification to Delivery of Cures Act
From Jan 1997 to Dec 2004, Turner missed 121 of 4,618 roll call votes, which is 2.6%. This is on par with the median of 2.9% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2004. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: