Schakowsky is the representative for Illinois’s 9th congressional district (view map) and is a Democrat. She has served since Jan 6, 1999. Schakowsky is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Schakowsky.
Schakowsky is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Schakowsky has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Mar 3, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Janice “Jan” Schakowsky sits on the following committees:
Schakowsky was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 5798 (114th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 1101 Davis Street in Evanston, Illinois, as the “Abner J. Mikva Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 1216 (110th): Cameron Gulbransen Kids Transportation Safety Act of 2007
Does 2 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Schakowsky sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Schakowsky’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 1314: To require the Consumer Product Safety Commission to promulgate a consumer product safety ...
- H.R. 950: IMPACT to Save Moms Act
- H.R. 904: For the relief of Mariana Ndudzi.
- H.R. 728: Pandemic Emergency Manufacturing Act of 2021
- H.Res. 80: Recognizing the roles and the contributions of America’s certified registered nurse anesthetists (CRNAs) ...
- H.R. 675: COVID–19 Price Gouging Prevention Act
- H.R. 597: Pandemic Treatment Access and Affordability Act of 2021
From Jan 1999 to Mar 2021, Schakowsky missed 297 of 14,539 roll call votes, which is 2.0%. This is on par with the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: