Read our 2016 Report Card for Schakowsky.
Our unique analysis of the bills Schakowsky has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into her position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Schakowsky is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Janice “Jan” Schakowsky sits on the following committees:
Schakowsky was the primary sponsor of 4 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 5798 (114th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 1101 Davis Street in Evanston, Illinois, as the “Abner J. Mikva Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 4212 (111th): For the relief of Rigoberto Padilla.
- H.R. 1216 (110th): Cameron Gulbransen Kids Transportation Safety Act of 2007
- H.R. 3972 (110th): To amend the Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act of 2005 to exempt from the means test in bankruptcy cases, for a limited period, qualifying reserve-component ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Schakowsky sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Schakowsky’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 2439: Fair Accountability and Innovative Research Drug Pricing Act of 2017
- H.R. 2392: Nurse Staffing Standards for Hospital Patient Safety and Quality Care Act of 2017
- H.R. 2124: BOARD Fairly Act
- H.R. 1969: Safe Hydration is an American Right in Energy Development Act of 2017
- H.R. 1776: Improving Access To Affordable Prescription Drugs Act
- H.R. 1451: Corporate Tax Dodging Prevention Act
- H.Res. 64: Recognizing the roles and contributions of America’s Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists (CRNAs) and ...
|Schakowsky’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 1695: Register of Copyrights Selection and Accountability Act of 2017
Apr 26, 2017. Passed 378/48.
This bill would change the appointment process for the head of the U.S. Copyright Office, known as the Register of Copyrights. Currently the Register of Copyrights is hired by the Librarian of Congress (who is the head of the Library of Congress). This bill would ...
H.R. 3038: Highway and Transportation Funding Act of 2015, Part II
Jul 15, 2015. Passed 312/119.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 2: Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act of 2015
Mar 26, 2015. Passed 392/37.
Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act of 2015 (MACRA), (H.R. 2, Pub.L. 114–10) commonly called the Permanent Doc Fix, is a law that establishes a new way to pay doctors who treat Medicare patients, revising the Balanced Budget Act of 1997. It reform is the ...
H.R. 5771 (113th): Tax Increase Prevention Act of 2014
Dec 3, 2014. Passed 378/46.
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
H.R. 6707 (110th): Taking Responsible Action for Community Safety Act
Sep 27, 2008. Failed 243/175.
H.Res. 801 (110th): Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 3688) to implement the United States-Peru Trade Promotion Agreement.
Nov 7, 2007. Passed 349/55.
From Jan 1999 to May 2017, Schakowsky missed 278 of 12,581 roll call votes, which is 2.2%. This is on par with the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 11 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: