Golden is the representative for Maine’s 2nd congressional district (view map) and is a Democrat. He has served since Jan 3, 2019. Golden is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Golden.
Golden is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Golden has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Jul 27, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Jared Golden sits on the following committees:
Golden was the primary sponsor of 4 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 8076 (116th): State Veterans Homes Domiciliary Care Flexibility Act
- H.R. 4719 (116th): Funding Instruction for Safety, Health, and Security Avoids Fishing Emergencies Act
- H.R. 4833 (116th): Multigenerational Engagement Act of 2019
- H.R. 459 (116th): Acadia National Park Boundary Clarification Act
Does 4 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Golden sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Golden’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 4136: Responsible Ownership of Firearms Act of 2021
- H.R. 3192: Disaster Assistance for Rural Communities Act
- H.R. 2727: Future in Logging Careers Act
- H.R. 2652: Ensuring Access to Counseling and Training for All Small Businesses Act of 2021
- H.R. 990: Block Foreign-Funded Political Ads Act
- H.R. 989: Consistent Labeling for Political Ads Act
- H.Res. 1251 (116th): Expressing support for the designation of December 19, 2020, as “National Wreaths ...
From Jan 2019 to Jul 2021, Golden missed 26 of 1,197 roll call votes, which is 2.2%. This is on par with the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: