Huffman is the representative for California’s 2nd congressional district (view map) and is a Democrat. He has served since Jan 3, 2013. Huffman is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Huffman.
Huffman is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Huffman has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Jun 21, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Jared Huffman sits on the following committees:
Huffman was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 2405 (116th): National Sea Grant College Program Amendments Act of 2019
- H.R. 1388 (116th): Lytton Rancheria Homelands Act of 2019
Does 2 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Huffman sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Public Lands and Natural Resources (27%) Government Operations and Politics (16%) Energy (16%) Education (12%) Labor and Employment (9%) Native Americans (7%) Science, Technology, Communications (6%) Environmental Protection (6%)
Some of Huffman’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 3906: To establish a Blue Carbon program to conserve and restore marine and coastal ...
- H.R. 3404: To provide drought preparedness and improved water supply reliability to the Nation.
- H.R. 3075: Illegal Fishing and Forced Labor Prevention Act
- H.R. 3048: North Pacific Ocean Protection Act
- H.R. 2842: To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 120 ...
- H.R. 2519: Keep It in the Ground Act of 2021
- H.Res. 261: Expressing support for the designation of March 21, 2021, as “National Rosie the ...
From Jan 2013 to Jun 2021, Huffman missed 166 of 4,867 roll call votes, which is 3.4%. This is worse than the median of 2.0% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: